Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Training

HeliFly

Hi guys,

Two quick questions I'm just wondering about. I thought I'd ask seeing how I didn't really see anything in the forums. (I've been reading a lot in here for the past couple days. LOTS of knowledge)

I understand there's going to be mixed opinions on these so please explain why you chose one and not the other. And remember, there just OPINIONS.

1. Should I buy flight training books before training?

The reason I ask is because one of the schools I went to would not tell you what they use/what to buy simply because they want you to come fresh.

My thoughts: I totally understand this because if you were to teach something to yourself that is not correct it's awfully hard to correct it for most people. Which means it costs you more money and more time for the instructors. However, on the other hand if you get the correct materials and understand it properly you can really excell in your training and most likely impress your instructors (which is what we all want to do).

What books would you recommend to? (I know there are other threads in this forum about this, but it won't hurt to say it again)

2. What aircraft is more important to train on: R22/R44 or 300?

In asking the previous question, I don't want a full out battle as to why one's better then the other. Just a real simple question.

Most companies use the R22 and R44, am I not correct? So if I was to train in the 300, I would not be able to fly the R22/R44 so that would either require me to spend more money to get checked out on that heli or for the company to do it. So wouldn't it make more sense to train in the R22/R44?

Also, yes I know another freakin question from a noob. I've looked at quite a few schools in my area and the only one that offers both R22 AND R44 training is Canadian. Would it be wise to go there just because I could be checked out on all 3? (R22, R44, and the 206) If a company primarily uses these helicopters, would it not look fairly good? (Not that I expect to fly as soon as I get out of training. Infact I hope I DON'T. That way I can get used to the way things work and then possibly do the occasional flight.)

Let me know what you think.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say no to books, because the groundschool for one company is not the same for the other.

Intro flight in the 2 of them, and choose the one you like, but more jobs in R44.

How could the ground school be different? I can see the methods of teaching it will differ but the CARS and that kinda stuff wouldn't change?

I'm planning on flying the R22 next weekend for an intro flight to see what I think of it. The thing is, I don't want to fly what I enjoy, I want to fly what operators use. So if their using the R44 it's better to have time on that machine even if I don't like it all that much. That make sense?

I think in the long run 100 hours seems to be 100 hours.

Mabey (if hes still kickin around on the forums, havent heard from him in a few days) Matt could give you some guidance as to the Robbie world, He did his training on the R22 with a 44 and bell 206 endorsement.

Cole

heliFly -

For the Canadian licence, there are only two and a half books - one is done by Culhane, another is done by me, and From The Ground Up, while excellent, does not cover the whole syllabus and has a fixed wing bias.

Read those threads again, then make your choice, but I wouldn't recommend Culhane for new pilots, and not for the obvious reason! I wrote mine because I thought his books weren't good enough - not only did they not contain enough information for proper home study (they really do need amplification by instructors), but there were many mistakes, many of which were due to poor quality control - in fact, they were so inconsistent I got the impression there was more than one author!

As one example, in one book there was a recommendation not to use whizzwheel, but an electronic calculator. Electronics are all very well, but batteries run out and electrics reserve the right to go wrong at the drop of a hat, as any avionics technician will tell you. My recommendation, at least in flight, is to use an E6B or a CR, because they are easier to work without getting your head stuck in the cockpit. The alleged accuracy you get with electronic computers is not worth the bother (and the expense), since you won't be able to read the instruments that closely anyway. There is absolutely nothing wrong in non-ATP pilots who don't fly high speed aircraft using circular slide rules, despite what other books written by someone whose name begins with C and contains the letters u, l, h, a, n, e may say.

They are good for a quick run through before an exam, by somebody converting from a professional licence from another country (so they can pick up the problems - watch out for Guys ballot's law!), or for guided class study so the instructor can tell you what bits to miss out. For home study, try this:

Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies

And if you don't believe me, PM Winnie for an opinion.

And as for not buying books before your course? Crap! I would buy anything I could get my hands on, but be organised or you will get mental indigestion!

Good luck!

phil

Phil,

Wow. Did not expect Mr. Phil Croucher to be here. Thank you sir not only for your opinion here, but for writing such good books. The knowledge you have accumulated is spectacular. I've purchased one of your books quite of few years ago at an airshow in Oshawa, "The Helicopter Pilot's Handbook". It was a great read. I may just have to purchase "Professional Helicopter Pilot Studies" I was debating on it for some time now.

I have heard from someone before that Culhane was difficult to read for a newcomer. Thanks for the headsup!

I won't be going for my flight training for about 3 years (BOO!) but doing that allows me to be a little older (I'm 19 right now) and to have a little more money. That way when I get a loan it won't be that bad and the way I see it now is if I were to study for just about 3 years, I'll be pretty **** prepared! And hopefully impress some people. :lol:

Thanks again.

Last I checked, the 300's cost more and there really isn't anybody using them in the Canadian Industry. You'd basically end up with 100 hrs. on an aircraft that you will most likely never fly again. The R22 is the way to go as the operation and limitations a very similar to the R44.

Which ever flight school you choose will supply you with books anyways, but Phil does have some excellent information in his material.

Another school down your way is in Kitchener. "Great Lakes Helicopters". May want to give them a look as well. You're about to drop alot of money.

Good luck in your adventure.

Vast

Exactly what I thought, Vast. It makes a lot more sense to train on the 22 and/or 44. The only reason I keep debating is the school that flies the 300 offers so much more training. WHIMS, First Aid, Dangerous Goods, Helipad constructions. And no other one does. Those would be great things to have. Anyone gone through Gateway helicopters and have a job now? Was it difficult to get without any Robbie experience?

Which ever flight school you choose will supply you with books

I know that, but I wan't to be 2 steps ahead of everyone. I don't have a very good memory so to be in ground school all day trying to remember everything and then doing an hour in a helicopter that's a lot of knowledge. I don't want to loose any of that valuable information.

I will take a look at "Great Lakes Helicopters". Why do you suggest them, do you work or have you trained with them?