Longlines

I'm looking into order some Longlines, since there are so many companys out there i wounder if some off you guys can help me out with some feedbacks!?!

I'm looking for; 1. Synthetic longline 2. 100'-120' long 3. Electrical wire to hook on the bottom

If you know something pls let me know that would be helpful.

Thx

I'm looking into order some Longlines, since there are so many companys out there i wounder if some off you guys can help me out with some feedbacks!?!

I'm looking for; 1. Synthetic longline 2. 100'-120' long 3. Electrical wire to hook on the bottom

If you know something pls let me know that would be helpful.

Thx

I just recently ordered 2 100 footers and also a 50 footer from Dart Aerospace

They are equiped with power cords and are called Plasma Long Lines, very flexable and come with a nice carry bag and proper ends. Sure beats the old style steel long lines we all used a few years ago.

Gord Dale

London Air Services

If you go with the Canam Aerospace line be aware that the blueline thimble at the end of the line is quite heavy and bulky. It is actually bulky enough that you have to use a fairly large clevace on it which also adds more weight. All said and done you could end up with a synthetic line that is heavier than a steel line. They also have the option of a galvanized thimble, which is what most other companies offer and it is quite a bit lighter and less bulky. I guess it's not such a big deal if it's on a medium rather than a light.

Just a heads up.

Good Luck

As much as synthetic lines are convenient, easy to handle (ie: roll-up), and yes, under light wind conditions, easier to fly........steel shows how well a pilot is actually flying the aircraft.

In other words, the lack of movement from synthetic will not show if a pilot is overcontrolling an aircraft....which is important on the bigger iron. A steel line shows a pilots mistakes quickly, and requires the individual to learn more about aircraft control and technique.

Steel is cheaper, heavier, easy to find (buy), and repair/replace.

Synthetic is expensive, lighter, strong/light, and not easy to repair/replace.

Do we use synthetic with our ops on the cranes......."NOT" :shock:

Just an observation......... :rolleyes: (and me just rambling on).

As much as synthetic lines are convenient, easy to handle (ie: roll-up), and yes, under light wind conditions, easier to fly........steel shows how well a pilot is actually flying the aircraft.

In other words, the lack of movement from synthetic will not show if a pilot is overcontrolling an aircraft....which is important on the bigger iron. A steel line shows a pilots mistakes quickly, and requires the individual to learn more about aircraft control and technique.

Steel is cheaper, heavier, easy to find (buy), and repair/replace.

Synthetic is expensive, lighter, strong/light, and not easy to repair/replace.

Do we use synthetic with our ops on the cranes......."NOT" :shock:

Just an observation......... :rolleyes: (and me just rambling on).

Uhmm, don't you have a guy in the other seat who can tell if the pic is overcontrolling and can teach the individual control and technique, I would think you would like a line that is easier to handle?

And I still remember the rolling up of a 150 steel piece of crap which weighs 60 + lbs and throwing it in the boot of a jetranger 6 times a day....much more fun and easier than the 16 lb Amsteel blue we use now.

Don't kid yourself on the safety of steel, there have been many accidents/incidents with a steel line recoiling up into the rotor system, something an amsteel blue line won't due. A large company out west still uses steel and has removed the synthetic lanyards as they believe that a 5 ft synthetic lanyard can propel a 100 ft steel line up into the rotors,,,,ya right, the steel needs nothing to propel it upward as it has enough elastic properties on its own to do it. Yes Amsteel is lighter and could end up in the tailrotor if not careful but the elastisity properties of these modern synthetics is much better than steel. Ask the cougar super puma crew who caught it on a rock and all the line did was break and not go up into the rotors...the incident report mentioned they use that type of line because of the benifit of low elasticity of Amsteel blue or spectra. Many people get elasticity and elongation confused, amsteel has little elasticity and a far amount on elongation which is why it is important to get the line prestretched prior to intalling electrical wire.

Oh and watch your synthetic line around heat it begins to lose its strength at just under 200'F,,,,

Just my observations.... :rolleyes: