Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Turbine Time Or Endorsement

johnson4

QUOTE(heli206212 @ Jun 2 2007, 08:12 AM) *

A Turbine Endorsement on a 206 is good, no need to do 20 hours. Save your money, it is the endorsement that counts. *

this quote was taken from here.

I don't want it to be taken out of context but didn't want to hi-jack that thread either.

How many of you out there would agree with this.

I had been thinking that 10-20 hrs. of turbine time was essential for my 1st 100 but now that statement has me thinking. I keep hearing "100hrs is 100hrs" so it seems more logical to get the CPL as cheaply as possible and then get what endorsements could be afforded.

So What's the general consensus, is it more valuable to increase your "turbine time" or the number of endorsement types?(assuming the available funds were the same)

For physiological reasons (limited left wrist extension) I did my license on a 206. When I talk to employers they are surprised, but I don't think I get any greater consideration because of the type I've flown. Attitude, work ethic and ancillary skills seem to be the determining factors.

Over the past weekend I've asked the test pilots at work and some operators if an endorsement or rating would make me a more viable employee vis-à-vis my 170hrs. The general advice was "stick with what you know". Build up time on what you're current; once an operator hires you they'll help you out with your training and direct you where they want you.

If you have the means; yes, try out a turbine. It's good experience and at the very leaste you'll have fun. But the type rating isn't what is going to get you a job. Even with 150 hours on turbines.

Remember one thing, whe you are @ the 100 hr stage, there is so much more you need to learn. Fight training should not be about learning to fly on type but learning to fly period. If you have time to do an endosment in your 100 hrs you have the time to do advanced work and master the finer points in a machine you all ready know.

When doing an endorsment you will mostly work on the feel of a new machine. Instead of more advanced techniques, getting comfotabe in the most stessfull situations is more important than numbers on your licence. If you have mastered everything in the machine you are on, then do as much 206 time as you can, if you can't do a full right peddal to the ground with out help, or if there are areas you could improve on, do the time in the machine you know. Remember learn to fly not build time.

Rob

Hey Johnson,

I agree with Rob, you are going to want to become as proficient at flying as possible and that will be an ongoing process throughout your entire career. As for employability on the other hand, how proficient you are isn't going to get you your first job.

Before you choose a school, visit as many as you can. Find a school that has very qualified instructors but not the school who charges the most. Preferably the school who charges the least but stilll has highly qualified instructors. Instructors who are 5000 hours MINIMUM and have a fair bit of operational experience as well. Work hard at flight school and try to be as accomplished as you can. Not for anybody else but for yourself, besides it's your money you're forking out and it's going to be your *** strapped to the seat every day at work. Once you're done training do what ever it takes to get what ever job that puts you in contact as closely with helicopters as possible. Preferably being some helicopter companies Joe boy and keep being presistant at finding that job by getting to know as many people in and close to the industry as possible. Be on the phone talking to people and in your car visiting companies who have potentail as well as thoes who don't. NETWORK as much as possible. Once you find that job, work like the company is your own. Find ways to make your bosses job easier. When problems arise, rather than going to your boss to tell him about the problem go to him with some solutions to the problem. Make him want you to be his guy.

Don't worry yourself about what helicopter is the best to do your training on. Dont worry about extra endorsements. Get your license and save your money....you're going to need it!!! Every flight school will tell you that they have the best ground school, the best instructors and the best job placement record of all the schools. Go in every day more prepared than the next guy ande give yourself the best education out there. Nobody else is going to give it to you.

Every hundred hour pilot out there is looking for that extra edge. Your edge is your personality and your work ethic. There are a lot of very average pilots out there who are a lot more employable than some very skilled pilots because of their personality and work ethic. Companies are looking for someone who can get the job done and have that customer come back the next time not the superstar driver who pisses off every client he comes across.

Sorry about the rant, but every 100hr pilot or potential pilot needs to realize what's really important, rather than focusing on the fluff. Get your lisence, be persistant at finding that first job, be your bosses best employee ever, work your *** off, EARN a spot in a pilot seat and the rest will follow.

Good luck!!!