Toughest Place In Canada To Fly?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want a place where everything looks the same, try the Arctic in winter on an overcast day. The prairies ?? All roads go north/south or east/west, it's so flat you can see the next 20 towns. So how is it difficult to navigate ?? ;):P Besides, if you're not sure, just get a little lower and read the side of a grain elevator, they have the name of the town written on them. Of course you do get the odd person wondering why every town is called "Pool". :huh::blink::P:D

Cheers

Well, I haven't PIC'd in much of Canada, but I can say that Newfoundland is pretty tough! I have literally taken off on a beautiful crisp winter morning, and before landing, dodged snow, flew through rain showers, got shaken in high winds that came from nowhere, and was "followed" by a fog bank - all within a local half-hour flight! Sounds exagerated, but any pilot who has flown in Newfoundland can testify to our "wonderful" weather. Then there's the number of times I've followed the Trans Canada Highway at 500' AGL because the weather trapped me! You can take off in what seems to be beautiful weather as far as the eye can see, but is actually just a circle of clear. By the time you realize this and turn back, the airport is closed in and you have no choice but to keep going to the next airport which, on the Rock, can be hundreds of miles away! Thank God I fly floats now!

While I can appreciate what you folks are saying, I'm sure you don't understand what's involved in flying out here on the wet coast... We've got mountains, turbulence, wild winds, swells, waves, crap weather, crappier weather reporting, weather that changes every 5 miles, did I mention the fog??? I still think that flying the Goose out of YZT is one of the toughest jobs in Canada...

• 1 month later...