Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

100hr Wonders

I was at the Galore Creek job the other day and all the companies there have hired fresh commercial guys for PAID ground crew positions. Chatting to one companys senior pilots and to the new guys themselves reveals that they are all dissatisfied with their current standing and cannot fathom why they are not flying yet. Most have been employed for a month. Two of them got up and left. One left after one tour and the other after only a week. Both cited that it wasn't what they expected?

Its a cushy number, they are staying at Bell 2, they are working around and under the 206's, 205's, Kamov, Vertol, Chinook and the Mil 26? They sometimes have to clean the inside of the machine but pretty much they are there to meet and greet, refuel and hook up loads. Seems to me to be a dream come true personally and some of them are even getting the odd fly of the 205.

When a 100hr wonder says its not what he was expecting and why am I not flying? One has to ask what the #### are they being told in flight school? The schools are churning the pilots out in only 3 months and leaving us with the job of making them useful. Its a ripoff for the industry and depressing to see the calibre of guy that is wanting to become a pilot these days. Most of us can relate to many years of ground work and its becoming irritating to listen to the delusions of these new guys and to watch their lack of enthusiasm, commonsense and work ethic.

Someone explain.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When a 100hr wonder says its not what he was expecting and why am I not flying? One has to ask what the #### are they being told in flight school? The schools are churning the pilots out in only 3 months and leaving us with the job of making them useful. Its a ripoff for the industry and depressing to see the calibre of guy that is wanting to become a pilot these days. Most of us can relate to many years of ground work and its becoming irritating to listen to the delusions of these new guys and to watch their lack of enthusiasm, commonsense and work ethic.

Someone explain.

the first part of your statement does indeed sound like a dream job. but COB the reason those schools exist is to process students to there graduation, irregarless of the industry's ability to absorb them in to the work force. I was part of that concept in the mid 80's for the A&P (AME) schools south of the border i was fortunate enuf to find decent work for the rest of the decade. the job of a school is to train the student to the end of the program and send them packing out to the real world. these factories will tell their students what they WANT to hear.

there are also schools out there who will tell you like it is and assist you with what need to be done to get a job, I was fortunate to be in such a school at the time they had a placement program and supporting staff members to assist students into the real world. I'm sure rotorheadrob and helilog56 both can attest to the fact that seeing a student thru from start to job placement is a truely rewarding experience.

in my case the school prepared me for the truth about the industry..getting a job would be no easy deal let alone a flying job right off the bat...and with that in mind a little while ago i was hired on by a great company as a 100hr wonder and before i made my choice i knew flying would be out of the question for quite some time.......but the experience i will have learned with gound ops, flight ops, the wrench side of things, and everything inbetween should hopefully prepare me to be competent when the time comes to get my wings... and knowing everyday i get to work around choppers and be apart of the industry i worked so hard to get into really makes the 12+ hour days worth while.. cheers

in my case the school prepared me for the truth about the industry..getting a job would be no easy deal let alone a flying job right off the bat...and with that in mind a little while ago i was hired on by a great company as a 100hr wonder and before i made my choice i knew flying would be out of the question for quite some time.......but the experience i will have learned with gound ops, flight ops, the wrench side of things, and everything inbetween should hopefully prepare me to be competent when the time comes to get my wings... and knowing everyday i get to work around choppers and be apart of the industry i worked so hard to get into really makes the 12+ hour days worth while.. cheers

That's the kind of attitude that all 100hr wonders should have, and I can relate to that myself. My first summer was painting, wrenching, go-for and so on. And I believe with an attitude like "kelownapilot", he/she will be successful and chief pilots will notice. But what scares me is that we are coming to the point where there will be a lack of pilots and chief pilots will not have a choice but to hire even those with so-so attitude. SO do the hard work, enjoy the environment (being around helicopters) and you will be a better pilot and feel good about yourself.

Mike

I agree to what most people have said so far. So I'll pretty much be stating the same thing.

No matter what career path you choose you start from the bottom and work your way up. You have to PROVE yourself.

Any 100 hr pilot who get's a job cleaning helicopters, being around them all day and such should concider themselves extremely lucky! Your getting paid to be around something you love. Not many operators are going to trust you with a $100,000 machine at first. They want to see your work ethic, and attitude and by quitting so soon? That's pathetic. However, I can understand if it's been 1 year plus and they don't even give you a checkout or let you fly for a little. Because as time passes you are loosing the skills you've learnt.

Just my 2 cents.

not everyone gets into this because they "love" it....many are here for the money, the lifestyle, the choice. Unfortunately you're very limited in the beginning and you don't have alot of options.

My best advice is get your foot in the door anyway you can, but don't let it shut. Keep your eyes and ears open for that next step. some will get the next step, some will slip, some will never see it....and thats just the way it is. Not everyone is destined to succeed in this industry and many many others.

ChairmanoftheBord

I'm curious, was there one (five or six) of these low time pilots that impressed you? Could it be that the selection process is working just the way it should? I've been really impressed at some of the "low timers" our company has brought on. Never complain, always work hard, enjoy what they are assigned to do. Heck, THEY'RE an inspiration to me.

sb

From my limited instructing time I can offer this observation:

All the instructors I have worked with have tried hard to impress on all the students what the business is really like. Some listened and tried hard to apply what we were telling them. Others dismissed us as just telling stories to scare the new guys, and carried on with the attitudes they had brought with them.

While we may not like the attitude, they had been warned, they wanted the licence, and they did not have a lack of skill. Hence, our moral obligation was fulfilled and our job was to train them to the commercial standard.

I have had a former student, who I had told "if I am ever asked by a future employer what you were like in flight school, I will tell them" after yet another incident highlighting his laziness and lack of respect for anyone, put my name on his resume as a reference. Go figure.

Lets not think this is a problem associated only with this industry. As I look at the other industries that I am involved in, I realize that there is a common trend. There are those who have a work ethic and there are those that for what ever reason, DON"T. I have seen 100 hour pilots who shame the best, and I have seen others that had but one thought, "You owm me a job, I have a liscense to fly". I have seen this same thing in the construction industry, driving industry. It isn't any different. It is a sad issue that people feel they don't have to work for their wage.

That being said, it makes me look to myself and ask if I am working in an manner that shows that I enjoy my work and strive to improve myself in my field.

Just my two cents,

Off to fly. Later

steven

****, if they are frustrated with a ground job after a month, how are they going to actually get a real flying job eventually? After I finish my flight training, I fully understand that there is no way I will be put right into a flying seat. I accept and welcome the fact that I will have to work my *** of at my first job to show my employer that I am worth taking on as a pilot. If that takes a few years, then so be it. It will give me time to learn as much as I can about the industry, and when I finally do land that job in the right seat, it will be all that much sweeter. So far my ground school hasn't put any crazy ideas in my head about landing a $100,000 flying job as soon as I get my license. They have been realistic with me, and I respect that. This way there are no surprises when I get out and start looking for work.

By the way, let me know what operator that is. I'm sure I will be giving them a call in the spring to see if I can replace the 2 guys that decided to pack it in.