Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

100hr Wonders

I think K119 hit the nail on the head. It's a generational thing I'm sure. Now that's NOT to paint all 100hr folks with the same brush, but CoB has a good point about many of the newer pilots.

I guess the good news is, the flight schools are turning out so many 100hr wonders, that they are easily replaceable until you find a good one.

AR

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a reply to info I posted some time back about a ramp opening...

Thanks for the info, It's just hard for us low-timers to get work and the truth of the matter is we all went to school to fly not to be treated like garbage!! I have only been in the industry for a couple of months, but I already see how we are used and abused... Companies should be up front with us, instead of feeding us lines about flying. Ryan I've just heard from many ppl don't brother with Helijet until you have atleast an IFR. Things like this should be told to us, so one can prepare and obtain the right stuff! And I'm really getting tired of ppl telling me "Getting Hired is all about being in the right place at the right time" what a joke! More like having lots of money so you can show up on their front doors! anyways Thanks again for your input.

Signed, One mad low-timer

Yikes.... that disgruntled and he hasn't even tasted a 12 to 16 hour work day on the ramp yet? When I was a 100 hour guy (a whole 8 months ago haha) I would have gladly skipped the whole rampie gig to get flying if possible. However looking back on my year on the ground I'm glad I did it and can say with pride that I earned my seat the hard way.

I have seen many low time pilots come through my door and I have seen some of the best and some of the worst. It definately boils down to attitudes and personalities. I am puzzled though why these low timers you are talking about were bewildered about the no flying. It sounds like perhaps they were told they were going to have some flying and it didn't come as expected. I'm sure anyone who has been in the industry for any length of time has had the carrot dangled in front of them, not saying that is what happened in this case but possibly.

I give it straight up as far as money, rotation and job discription so that there is no question later as well as I promise what I can deliver. Treat people how I would want to be treated.

I know personally that is why I try to have as many low time pilots come through my door as possible so I have that many more to chose from because there are some that I just plain would never hire. But I will say that the majority are hireable and many times wish I had more positions to fill when you do meet the good ones.

I hired 7 this year and they are all working out great. They are all taking turns flying and working around the hanger. Its like anything though you get what you put into it, if you just hire on a whim off the street you might not get what you want but if you do some interviews and get to know the person a bit chances are you will get the person you are wanting to work for you.

Todd

Nothing worth having is easy to get. A career as a pilot is no different. If someone has to choose a pilot to fly their 300 thousand dollar or greater machine they would be quite foolish to let just anyone with a pilots license fly it. If a low time pilot wants to be in the pilot seat and he has no experience that offers insight to the kind of pilot he will be or the kind of person he is then he should be quite happy if hes been given the chance to prove himself in a different way. As a low time pilot speaking, if they want to take that opportunity for granted...thats just fine with me.

not everyone gets into this because they "love" it....many are here for the money, the lifestyle, the choice.

I think that if you don't love what you do.. You shouldn't{/B] be doing it. It shouldn't even be concidered work to you. I know when I start my training and get my first job - It won't be work.

That may be one of the reasons why people complain about not flying at first. Because they want to be getting as much as the $$$$ as possible and to do that in this industry is to fly. However thinking like that will get you no where.

This is a great forum, it has really helped me confirm what I have been hearing over the past few months talking to alot of 100hr guys. I thought it was just a few but something is really wrong here.

we hire low time guys and have a hard time getting them to work longer then 5 days, they think they need 2 days off every 5 days and not work any longer then 8hrs a day and should be moving up the ladder faster after only flying 6 months.

Where is this attitude coming from.

They just seem like they are living in a fantasy world, sound like a bunch of spoiled babies and sad to say it but the industry is going to be in trouble with this going on.

I spent 2 years on a ground crew and learnt alot of valuble stuff.

It has help me greatly once I started flying.

These guys need to learn that, servicing buckets longlines etc.

Thats okay let those whiners walk off the job if it isnt what they expect. move on boys this industry is for real men of you cant handle it get out.

sorry for being blunt but this attitude real ticks me off that I see.

I think that if you don't love what you do.. You shouldn't{/B] be doing it. It shouldn't even be concidered work to you. I know when I start my training and get my first job - It won't be work.

That may be one of the reasons why people complain about not flying at first. Because they want to be getting as much as the $$$$ as possible and to do that in this industry is to fly. However thinking like that will get you no where.

it's too bad that many people can't, by whatever reason, choose the job they love the most. I can think of other jobs I'd love more, but they don't pay as well, so I stick with this one.

I've recently graduated and am a 100 hour wonder myself... although without the attitide. If you were going to spend $50,000 on anything wouldn't you do your homework first? I was more than aware of what a newbie should expect after only 100 hours. There is no excuse for these whiners and I am thankful they are quiting the industry. I hope all the Chief Pilots out there drop these fools and make room for the motivated, hard working aspiring pilots who are willing to do whatever it takes to make it in their dream career!

Before I chose my training school I took a visit to my top 10, I found 3 types of schools:

1) Those who promised the world, but didn't give any references to back up their claims,

2) Those who wanted my money to supplement their slow winter season and are what most pilots call "factories" and,

3) Those who are dedicated to training the next generation of pilots, and expect a level of quality they would expect in their own pilots. (This type comes in both big and small sizes)

I think the problem is that people buy into types 1 and 2 and expect the world when they receive thier freshly minted CCPL. And to all the CP's out there please do the industry a favor and fire the whiners, there are those of us who have the right attititude and just need help getting our foot in the door.

Wishing you all the best for the future...

:rant: :D

it is a great job and lifestyle, sometimes it sure does feel like work too. i could think of many other things i would love to do, like fenestron and elvis said ' those things don't pay as well' so i do this and am happy when i have to go to work. i was a 100 hr in bob quinn when it was just a few jetrangers and 500's buzzing around. i was stoked then, it would have been awesome to be up there on the ground when the biggest heavy lift op was going on. if the culls didn't get hired the cream could never rise to the top. good luck all and have fun.