Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Qc Fire

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for posting the SiffSee :rolleyes: and saving me a trip to the dictionary to look up hectare! Just know a few people in the region, as well as working the fires, and was wondering how it was going from a statistical point of view. That pretty much answers that! ;) You should talk more often, OT. Even if you have to do it in Morse Code. :D Cheers!

Thanks for posting the SiffSee :rolleyes: and saving me a trip to the dictionary to look up hectare! Just know a few people in the region, as well as working the fires, and was wondering how it was going from a statistical point of view. That pretty much answers that! ;) You should talk more often, OT. Even if you have to do it in Morse Code. :D Cheers!

www.sopfeu.qc.ca

Forest fires continue to rage in northern Quebec

Anne Sutherland

The Gazette

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Hot and dry conditions continue to fuel forest fires burning in the north of Quebec and some of that acrid smoke can be smelled hundreds of kilometres away.

Parts of Quebec City were blanketed in smoke on Monday, and today Chibougamau had a haze of smog-like air due to the burning fires.

So far this year there have been 552 fires fought in Quebec.

There is still an open fire ban in most forested areas north of the St. Lawrence river valley. Campers, canoeists and fishermen are forbidden to light campfires under penalty of heavy fines.

In addition, no one but firefighters is allowed north of the Lac St. Jean area as there is a great concentration of fires burning there.

As of noon today, there were 107 forest fires burning in the province.

Expected rain and possible thunderstorms tonight could harm or help the cause depending on the amount of rainfall, said Chantal Drapeau, spokesperson with the Socit de protection des forts contre le feu, the provincial department that monitors forest fires.

Lightning on top of the tinder dry conditions and strong winds could start even more fires than any precipitation extinguishes.

"If there is lightning but between 10 and 12 milimetres of rain, that will put out some of the fires and prevent new ones," Drapeau said.

"If there is lightning and 2 milimetres or less of rain, that's bad."

Just rotated out from the fires in Northern Quebec. My duty time was up :down: . To those who have concerns with regards to working in Quebec, this may be of some assistance to you in making future decisions.

Arrived in Northern Quebec with no idea what to expect in terms of language barriers (english being my first, and unfortunatly, only language and some will say I need work there as well). First thing I found out was..there arnt any barriers. The people I met and worked with in Quebec are, without exception, some of the most professional, talented and frendly people I have met anywhere. And I have been anywhere. Everyone I had contact with went out of their way to accomidate a somewhat illiterate, monolingual westener who insisted on making an *** of himself by trying to recall, and use, his high school french of some 35 years ago. (yes..the sware words were the first to come back)

I am not only speaking about the people of SOPFEU. But also of the people in the hotels, resturaunts, car rental agencies and well..yes...the bars.

Worked with a group of fire fighters from New Hampshire and another from Maine. Also, Manitoba crews were on hand. We all seemed to fall into place when the work started and despite a few "Now what did he say...?" situations on the radios....things went very well. I am dissapointed that my duty time came up when it did. But fly???...yes we did that...The Quebec pilots, fire crews, fire bosses, camp people and logistices people all let us find our own levels and then without making us feel like we were complete idiots, helped us in the right direction when we needed it. When it came to actually fighting the fires it was no different than if I were in Alberta, Saskatchewan or British Columbia. When you work with professionals...

To the guys and gals still out there, Good work :punk: ....I hope to be back.

(sorry 'bout the spellen and stuff...laptop is on my lap while someone else drives...phew, I do live with danger)

Hello Kyle (oops I mean Collective)

Good to hear you made it back okay, you are not missing too much, Fire 346 flared up a bit today but nothing too major. Very well said my friend the people have been fantastic. Take Care and all of us at Camp Outardes say bonjour!!

Cheers,

Rod

Hello Kyle (oops I mean Collective)

Good to hear you made it back okay, you are not missing too much, Fire 346 flared up a bit today but nothing too major. Very well said my friend the people have been fantastic. Take Care and all of us at Camp Outardes say bonjour!!

Cheers,

Rod

Hey...bonjour mon amie....may see you this weekend..looks like I am coming back. :punk: Fly safe