Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A-star Longline Redux

Hi John,

Thanks for the suggestion. You can bet that if the machines I'm flying had external gauges I'd be using them. Likewise it'd be nice to fly a machine with that fancy system of audio cues to indicate approaching limits. Unfortunately most utilty Jet Rangers/Long Rangers/B/BA Astars don't have this equipment.

As you point out, my left thumb is not precisely calibrated, but when it's resting on the edge of the seat (Astar) or the seam of my pants (206/206L) it's position relative to the rest of my hand can give me a pretty good idea of how high I've pulled the collective, which correlates fairly closely to how much torque/Ng/T4/TOT I'm pulling. When my thumb/hand position indicates that I'm approaching a high power setting, I glance in at the relevant gauges to get a more precise indication of how much pull I've got left. A little rustic perhaps, but available on every machine I fly.

Obviously, you don't need to use this technique, but there may be some out there who'll find it useful.

John, do you have any hints or suggestions for monitoring dash mounted instruments while longlining? I'd love to hear them!

There now, that didn't hurt at all, did it?

I wholeheartedly like the reference to the thumb as a tool. An experienced pilot will never rely on one tool and always expands on his/her bag of tricks and employs them as the situation dictates right? Great post. :punk:

Jerry