Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

205 Power Check

Superwrench

Does anyone know of a power check chart for a 205 w/-13. I am not talking about the " Maximum Power" check were you pull till the NR droops to 98%. I have heard that there is one for the 204 w/-13, is there one for the 205?

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.......

Of course there is a power-check......where ya been, Buddy?

It's easy as pie. Done in cruise flight, normal ops.....so easy even a pilot can do it by himself.

ask your DOM, or look in the engine manual, closely....the info is there. I even heard rumour there is a ground-based, 'partial-power' power check....not sure about that tho....just heard rumour.

Hey, superwrench......hope you have a great summer......just called your place.....but your roomie said you were of chasing girls in Dawson or something like that......Hope you can get back to the 'city' by the 11th......there is a mug or two of grizzly waitin' for you.

Cheers.

A.F.

Tsk, Tsk, Tsk.......

Of course there is a power-check......where ya been, Buddy?

It's easy as pie. Done in cruise flight, normal ops.....so easy even a pilot can do it by himself.

ask your DOM, or look in the engine manual, closely....the info is there. I even heard rumour there is a ground-based, 'partial-power' power check....not sure about that tho....just heard rumour.

Hey, superwrench......hope you have a great summer......just called your place.....but your roomie said you were of chasing girls in Dawson or something like that......Hope you can get back to the 'city' by the 11th......there is a mug or two of grizzly waitin' for you.

Cheers.

A.F.

A/F

yup I am still in Dawson City. Were are you at?

I have looked through the manual, I can't find this power check you talk about. I have found the "maximum power check" also called the "power adjustment chart" were you climb at 50-90kts, pull max torque, and wait for the head to droop to 97% decend 500ft from the altitude that it drooped then climb throught that altitude recording the numbers. Is there any other charts? I hear that there is a different one for the 204 were you don't droop the head. not sure about that, but that is what i have heard.

Any help A/F would be great,

If i am no there to drink those grizzly's with you, be sure to drink them for me.

SW

Ok, I did find a Gas Producer Speed chart which is done in cruise flight. ie no drooping the head. This is what i was looking for. I found it in part 1 section 5-3 of the flight manual. This chart is only found in FM1 a/c s/n 300001-30052. At the start of section 5 of all three flight manual it staights that pages 5-2 to 5-5 have been deleted, but in FM1 they are still there.

Not sure if this is what you guys were talking about? And does anyone have any idea why it was removed, does the chart not work?

As for the power assurance chart, haven't found it yet, still looking. help is welcome.

AF you can't give me Sh*t about not knowing were the power check info is, when you don't even know. Anyway looking forward to that cold pint of grizzly.

thanks guys

Ok, I did find a Gas Producer Speed chart which is done in cruise flight. ie no drooping the head. This is what i was looking for. I found it in part 1 section 5-3 of the flight manual. This chart is only found in FM1 a/c s/n 300001-30052. At the start of section 5 of all three flight manual it staights that pages 5-2 to 5-5 have been deleted, but in FM1 they are still there.

Not sure if this is what you guys were talking about? And does anyone have any idea why it was removed, does the chart not work?

As for the power assurance chart, haven't found it yet, still looking. help is welcome.

AF you can't give me Sh*t about not knowing were the power check info is, when you don't even know. Anyway looking forward to that cold pint of grizzly.

thanks guys

Ya got me there, SW....lol. I don't know where it is, but it WAS in my book-box as part of the A/C documents....just not at the company you is working for. Anyway...it looked, by the style of printing and layout, to be a Lycoming document. A/C flight manual SHOULD have the right proceedure, as it is affected by the installation as well as the engine performance.

Ummm, just a thought...you could call 'somebody you know' at Bell.....*wink*.....

BTW....sitting at home, watching paint dry....but might just have to get a head start on the Grizz before ya get back.......but hey, I might show up in Dawson before then....ya never know. I assume you are at the Base there?

• 5 weeks later...

Superwrench -----there was one that I used for eons and it was done in conjunction with Standard Aero in those days and they set the guideline limits. It was a "Power Assurance Check' as they called it and was done at least once per week and was entered in a made-up booklet that stayed with the a/c at all times and was kept in the glove box between the seats. You'd pick a convenient altitude for you at that moment and drop the Q to about 30 PSI i.e (you could pick just about any you wanted and I'll explain why later) and maintaining level flight. At the chosen altitude you would record your altitude, the Ng, Q, EGT, OAT AND most importantly the date. These figures you recorded in the book. Next you would look in previous pages for entries for a date where very similar figures were recorded. IF the EGT readings for the previous date and your recorded EGT reading varied by more than 100C then a call was required to advise HQ of the differences in EGT. At that point a call was usually made by them to Standard Aero and Standard would set the guidelines for tests on the engine and guages. If they didn't like what they were hearing and/or seeing then the a/c was considered to have a problem of some sort with the engine or the guages. Company would be advised what to do and if they wished to comply then "fine" and if not, then that was "fine" also. That difference mentioned before in the EGT was a great determining factor and did catch many engines before their O/H costs escalated......or worse yet.

Unless you have those previous figures from other dates and times of the year to refer back to, then all that I've stated really means nothing and is no help, but might be a thing to think about. Some companies still have such a system and some don't. With those companies I've flown for where they don't have such a thing, then I just carry-on and implement one onboard my a/c if I have reason to believe that I'll be on it steady or many times over the ensuing months and years with the same engine onboard.

• 6 months later...