What The ?

Well everyone the 200 training has fallen through, what else is new! Disappointment and aviation seem to go hand in hand. Anyone know where I can get a start in the float flying business, think I will just fly something fun! Either that or get out all together, had smoke blown up my butt too many times. :(

• 1 month later...

co-joe

I think someone might be feeding you abit of a line re the shock cooling of the exhaust stacks.

I have never heard it ever mentioned in the past, and I have a fair bit of time on PT-6's.

Maybe Twotter can let us know if there is anything to this idea that you have?

I'll ask the boss what exactly happened. He told me we cracked one a few years ago "pre-maturely". I don't know the precise numbers of how long they're supposed to last, but this one developped cracks early. Apparently they're quite expensive?

The other thing I've heard is that "spikes" in ITT can lead to scoring inside the compressor section from the blades and the outer shell of the chamber expanding at different rates. Over time this can hurt your TBO costs. We fly a lot of short hops and usually run out of cycles before we run out of hours so keeping everything in good shape for trade in is important.

I try to fly it as if I were the one paying for maintenance. cj

co-joe,

Sounds like someone has been leading you down the garden path. While some exhaust stacks have a tendancy to crack occasionally, I don't think you will find that it's from shock cooling in flight. Starting will give you your biggest shock..

As for your other comment on the compressor, he may be talking about your CT wheel. Even that seems a little far fetched as once the engine is running the temperature is a lot more stable that at say, start-up.. Oh, did that come up again??

Happy New Years to all.. :up: