Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Price Question?

volition

Helilog brings up another good point but what about the GST, because i don't collect it , I can't get that 6% on all purchases back. Helicopter companies pay large bills and our tax issue is a much bigger problem in the GREAT white north.

Now we still havent figured out why a R22 goes out to work at only 50 less than my G4, a machine that can lift it. The DOC of an R22 is so low, yet the price doesn't reflect that.

I say we make a new rule, all heli's priced @ $1 per pound of lift, per hour.

Rob

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Explain this for me,

R-22's go for 450 cdn and my G4 ( I can lift an R-22 ) has a higher useful load than a R44, fuel burn 17 gallons an hour ( thats dam close to $100 an hour ) goes out at only 50 bucks an hour more.

Rob

And for that extra $50 you even get a cool little DVD that's so useful to learn from.

Not to mention the view out of a 47 is way better than an R22

Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!! Chick and glory! I'm in...... where do I sign up Skids Up?

Look, the cost of flight training is what it is. If you want to train in the States.... then train in the States. All of my fixed-wing (commercial, multi-IFR) and rotary training I've probably spent about $38,000.00, all of it my own money and never once did I ***** about the cost. I wanted to do it and the most important thing to me was getting quality training, not cheap training.

Some of that stuff in the States is also lower because they make you sign a contract for more hours than just the required training in order to get the cheap deal. Like shopping at Costco.

Explain this for me,

R-22's go for 450 cdn and my G4 ( I can lift an R-22 ) has a higher useful load than a R44, fuel burn 17 gallons an hour ( thats dam close to $100 an hour ) goes out at only 50 bucks an hour more. Much higher operating cost. but still people are willing to fly half the helicopter for almost the same price. If the customers (students) are willing to pay them of course they'll cash the check.

With that being said, it is much more expensive to operate in Canada. We are regulated stronger, insurance is higher, taxed way higher and we are much smaller then most US schools. The Direct Operating cost for a Canadian school is much higher. We are also expected to teach to a higher standard in a shorter period of time and that costs money. ( experienced people are expensive ) and we don't charge for any of the extras.

As a FTU operator I can attest to the fact, its not the smartest way to try and get rich.

Rob

And don't forget that Ontario schools are also now having to fork out bIG $$$ to the Private Career Colleges Act (An excuse for the government to make more money while doing nothing for it!).

Volition, you think prices are too high, wait till this little feature kicks in...it will probably put the smaller schools out of business and prevent new competition in the Ontario market. You haven't seen the high prices yet!!!! Anyone thinking of training, START berfore September 2007 or you'll be paying more pre hour!

And don't forget that Ontario schools are also now having to fork out bIG $$$ to the Private Career Colleges Act (An excuse for the government to make more money while doing nothing for it!).

Volition, you think prices are too high, wait till this little feature kicks in...it will probably put the smaller schools out of business and prevent new competition in the Ontario market. You haven't seen the high prices yet!!!! Anyone thinking of training, START berfore September 2007 or you'll be paying more pre hour!

I hope that was not a little pitch to get more students in the door for Sep/2007. <_<

If someone goes to the states, it's the same here, you got do your homework!! I did some training at a school with the chief pilot who had over 15,000 hours helo, over 10,000 fixed-wing. Although it was only over an hour flight doing emergencies and autos, I felt I learned a few tricks that wasn't taugh in my initial 100 hours. But your also right, there's alot of 200 hours instuctors in the states that would scare the #### out of me!!