Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Price Question?

volition

ABQ,

The schools in BC have had this problem for 2 years already. PCTIA is BC's post secondary governing board. I pay them 1% of all instructional income. And there was the start up fee of about $7,000. They say education is non taxable, yet the law says I must pay them for you to train.

Rob

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ABQ,

The schools in BC have had this problem for 2 years already. PCTIA is BC's post secondary governing board. I pay them 1% of all instructional income. And there was the start up fee of about $7,000. They say education is non taxable, yet the law says I must pay them for you to train.

Rob

Ok, but the prices in BC are the same as in Ontario right now. So this guy is saying the prices in Ontario will go up like crazy. :shock:

Don't forget also that the instructor in the states gets paid peanuts... $14 an hour for flying... and ONLY for flying

Look at what you have to pay for here

hangar

maintenance

secretary/front desk staff

fuel

insurance

instructor

helicopter

other "niblets"

The cost soon adds up, to make this an expensive game, now when you have 250 students to offset the cost at any given time (like the one I used to work for in the states) then you don;t hvae to charge as much.

Also the insurance cost in the states is less, due to their requirements being different than here.

Hope that sheds some light on the situation as of why the cost of training is so high here in canada :mellow:

Don't forget also that the instructor in the states gets paid peanuts... $14 an hour for flying... and ONLY for flying

Look at what you have to pay for here

hangar

maintenance

secretary/front desk staff

fuel

insurance

instructor

helicopter

other "niblets"

The cost soon adds up, to make this an expensive game, now when you have 250 students to offset the cost at any given time (like the one I used to work for in the states) then you don;t hvae to charge as much.

Also the insurance cost in the states is less, due to their requirements being different than here.

Hope that sheds some light on the situation as of why the cost of training is so high here in canada :mellow:

Yep, that narrow's it down!1 Thanx for the info. :punk:

• 2 weeks later...

It still doesn't add up, I did a commercial U.S. conversion and the Canadian rate( Pro IFR) was $425.00 C , 60 miles across the boarder it was $195.00 U.S. dual, the U.S. operaters still have hangars ,secretaries, insurance, fuel and insurance. Good question Volition, one I have always wondered about too, the owner of the U.S. school was a young man who didn't seem to be starving I might add.

It still doesn't add up, I did a commercial U.S. conversion and the Canadian rate( Pro IFR) was $425.00 C , 60 miles across the boarder it was $195.00 U.S. dual, the U.S. operaters still have hangars ,secretaries, insurance, fuel and insurance. Good question Volition, one I have always wondered about too, the owner of the U.S. school was a young man who didn't seem to be starving I might add.

I guess they have the population to support the lower prices....and BS about good training vs. Blablabla things, well, I got an instructor that have over 10k in the states, boy he thought me a few things. My school in Canada I had a 400 hours instructor flaring at 100 feet over the runway with the R22. Now that was scary. Anywhere you go, there's up and down's. I'm semi ok now, I can rent a helicopter in Canada for 380$/an hour, and he let me bring passengers so I can save on the cost of fuel.