Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cep's

Guest Aggroeitch

Guest Aggroeitch

Hello all,

I got a HGU-56/p helmet about a year ago(my first helmet) and has been quite satisfied with it, it's comfortable and light. The only real complain is that i think noise protection could be much better alltough i haven't used any other helmets to compare. The helmet is just a bit big for my headwidth so i had to put another pair of spacers (selfmade) between the shell and earcups, i only got one pair with the helmet. But i still find noise protection quite poor, so i've started to search for additional hearing protection. So far i've used basic earplugs and it does a decent job, but i would like to find something better...

The question is, does anyone have experience using CEP with HGU-56 or other helmet types?

What's your opinion about it?

Is it hard to use?

Is it hard to install ie. do i need a professional to install it to my helmet or can an average pilot do it?

http://www.anr-headsets.com/Html_folder/CEP.html 139 $ isn't a bad price for better protection, but i would like to hear opinions before ordering it.

Thanks.

/Aggroeitch

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

I got a HGU-56/p helmet about a year ago(my first helmet) and has been quite satisfied with it, it's comfortable and light. The only real complain is that i think noise protection could be much better alltough i haven't used any other helmets to compare. The helmet is just a bit big for my headwidth so i had to put another pair of spacers (selfmade) between the shell and earcups, i only got one pair with the helmet. But i still find noise protection quite poor, so i've started to search for additional hearing protection. So far i've used basic earplugs and it does a decent job, but i would like to find something better...

The question is, does anyone have experience using CEP with HGU-56 or other helmet types?

What's your opinion about it?

Is it hard to use?

Is it hard to install ie. do i need a professional to install it to my helmet or can an average pilot do it?

http://www.anr-headsets.com/Html_folder/CEP.html 139 $ isn't a bad price for better protection, but i would like to hear opinions before ordering it.

Thanks.

/Aggroeitch

I have a set of CEP and they work fine. A little hard to get used the earplug but not at all uncomfortable. They are not hard to put on. The installation is easy as well. I have them in an HGU56. Noise level is reduced dramatically, especially noticable in cruise flight of Astar, all the wind noise is pretty much gone, all you hear is the medium drivers whining on the radio. :blink:

sc

Guest Aggroeitch
I have a set of CEP and they work fine. A little hard to get used the earplug but not at all uncomfortable. They are not hard to put on. The installation is easy as well. I have them in an HGU56. Noise level is reduced dramatically, especially noticable in cruise flight of Astar, all the wind noise is pretty much gone, all you hear is the medium drivers whining on the radio. :blink:

sc

Hi Skullcap,

What's the problem with medium drivers? Is it because you fly rings around those old Bells with your 350? Sorry, i don't understand anything about Canadian heli industry so i might sound a bit stupid... :lol: :lol:

Thanks for your post, sounds like it's a good product. Do you know if there's different foamsizes/-thicknesses available? I've read a few articles about CEP but haven't found an answer.

/Aggroeitch

I bought myself the Gallet not to long ago, and had it installed with the Cep's.

I find the Gallet is so comfortable and so good on noise reduction that I havent had much use of them yet.

The only thing I find that might be negative is that you have to leanr how to put them in, than get your helmet on without pulling them out due to the cords.. But this might be different on other helmets.

The gallet is really tight so its harder..

I just got a HGU84 with the cep installed. The helmet is great but I'm having a bit of an issue with the ear plugs. They really help with the noise and the radios come through great. But after a while the pressure of the cep plugs gives me a head ache....

Guest Aggroeitch

Thank you all for answering.

The only thing I find that might be negative is that you have to leanr how to put them in, than get your helmet on without pulling them out due to the cords..

Heli-Pilot;Yeah, that's the thing that i've been wondering too. The thing is i sometimes take helmet on and off several times a day, that's why i was asking if CEP is easy to use...

There are three sizes of ear plugs but have only the one that it came with and seems ok. If I remember correctly the foam plugs are cheap and can change at any time.

Thanks again, Skullcap. I'll try to find some more info about different sizes. Good to know that there are options available.

I just got a HGU84 with the cep installed. The helmet is great but I'm having a bit of an issue with the ear plugs. They really help with the noise and the radios come through great. But after a while the pressure of the cep plugs gives me a head ache....

Twitch, have you tried different sizes of plugs that Scullcap mentioned? When i started to use common earplugs under the helmet, i tried few different sizes/ manufacturers to find the one that was most suitable for me. At first i started to feel the pressure in my ears after wearing them a while but now that i've found a right type of plugs for my ears i don't even notice them. But there are other problems with wearing norman earplugs that are not made for aviation use. I have to turn the volume of the radio very high to hear the transmission etc.

I hope you find a solution to your problem.

/Aggroeitch

When I was in the desert the last time we were issued the CEPs. The H60 has to be one of the noisiest in the inventory. We used to routinely were earplugs in conjunction with our helmets just for the noise reduction, but of course it also made the radio harder to hear. (Over 40 or so) The CEP’s did us two services. They blocked the outside noise and moved the speaker inside the ear canal. Now instead of us turning the volume to max we could now turn it way down. The one drawback is the wires that hang rather loose behind the helmet. But I am positive you could deal with it has we did. I hope this helps.

Jerry

Guest Aggroeitch

Thanks to all who have replied, looks like most of you have positive experiences about CEP.

Mini chopper, custom moulded plugs are the other product that i've been considering but i didn't know that CEP can be installed in those plugs! Sounds very interesting, i'm sure that's the way to get the best possible hearing protection with best comfort and still hear the radio well.