Helmet And Flight Suit......practical Investment Or Waste Of Money?

Read the Vortex, and other accident reports. I've only read 2 stories where the helmet saved the pilot's life, but it was more than enough for me to decide I would get one.

Flight suit is a little more uncertain. Studies show that unless you are wearing appropriate Nomex under-garments, the flight suit won't help all that much. Sure, it won't catch fire, but the heat still transfers through to your bare skin, or to ignite what you wear underneath... I still think it's usefull; lots of pockets, it gets dirty and not your clothes.

I personally think a helmet is a must have, the flight suit on the other hand, its up to you.

TaylorM,

I hope you are adept at reading between the lines. What they are really saying is that if you show up at the job site with a helmet you will receive a luke warm reception. After more than 40 years helmets are just now becoming acceptable with the "real men" bush crowd.

However, whatever you do, do not show up in a flight suit. That would be the worst thing you could do to insult the "professional" bush pilots. Heaven forbid that you would actually dare to wear good safety gear that is appropriate to the job. It's not cool to dress for the job, don't you know.

Next time you are on a fire look to see how many of the "pros" are wearing their lifejackets while they are bucketing.

TaylorM,

However, whatever you do, do not show up in a flight suit. That would be the worst thing you could do to insult the "professional" bush pilots.

Im pretty sure there is alot worse things you could do then wear a flight suit... I personally think a flight suit looks more professional then not wearing one. I dont think anyone will judge you differently either way! :unsure:

TaylorM,

I hope you are adept at reading between the lines. What they are really saying is that if you show up at the job site with a helmet you will receive a luke warm reception. After more than 40 years helmets are just now becoming acceptable with the "real men" bush crowd.

However, whatever you do, do not show up in a flight suit. That would be the worst thing you could do to insult the "professional" bush pilots. Heaven forbid that you would actually dare to wear good safety gear that is appropriate to the job. It's not cool to dress for the job, don't you know.

Next time you are on a fire look to see how many of the "pros" are wearing their lifejackets while they are bucketing.

precisely why things need to change.....just cuz' the old timers do it, does not make it right. Yeah, alot of old timers and "pros" as they are called have bags of experience, but times are changing and many of them are sitting back like the good ol' days. Safety is more of a concern than looking cool in my books. If you have a fear of fire, protect yourself, if you have a fear of being knocked unconcious, protect yourself...if you have a fear of syphylis....protect yourself.....

Hmm, thought this horse was beat to death already, but will throw my pennies in while its hot. Been around lots of companies and never heard about this stigma against any such safety gear. Was introduced to flight suits in early 80's and have been wearing them since, mostly. Try to keep it clean and it could save your life. Helmet is a no brainer HA.

Did have an interesting experience on seismic this winter, was instructed that everyone had to have fireproof clothing on job in northern alberta and needed a new flightsuit anyhow, so purchased the latest and greatest Mark's Workwearhouse fireproof coveralls with the required amount of high vis reflective tape stuff and went to work with all the other fellas in new gear. All is good, went to the next job with same crew and get out of the truck and bunch of juggies informed me that I didn't need to wear that suit...just repied by pointin at the 40,000 liter jetfuel tank and wasn't asking permission and carried on.

Quite frankly it is not the old fellas not wearing this gear but have seen more younger pilots not wearing flight suits and wandering around with their religious jeans(holey) than ever before.

More of a professional discussion should be,, should my flightsuit be out of nomex or just plain cotton? The difference is minimal but a 100% cotton flightsuit is getting hard to find and the new nomex is quite durable and doesn't need special washing. If you are not wearing a flight suit,,, DO wear 100% cotton clothing such as jeans and you have some protection, just keep in mind that if you are in a fire, anything exposed will be burned and that's that. Do not buy any poly/cotton mixed, I personally think that this type of clothing should be banned from any working environment.

Oh and I bucket with my lifejacket on when the water is not a beaver dam or tank, just use my water wings around those. Lifejackets are hot but have this nifty thing(also from Marks) that you soak in water and tie around your neck and the evoration cools you down abit, works great.

sc

For C.A.C.....Helmet is mandatory, flight suit is mandatory, proper foot wear is madatory, life vests when doing water drops and tank work is optional, but soon to be made mandatory.

You will not see to many old "pros" that argue about it either....... ;)