Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Custom Charges On Safety Equipment?

So I'm looking at buying a helmet from the states, and I heard it mentioned on here that we may not have to pay customs/duty at the border for safety equipment. I've been looking on the government website but can't seem to find anything about it... is there any truth to this???

I have been told that safety equipment will not be hit with customs and duty. Howver, some time ago, last year actualy, I bought a new alpha eagle form a company in the USofA. Paid a fair price and was happy. When the lid arrived at the border it was held until I paid not only customs, but duty and other charges as well. No amount of pleading with the customs people would see the safety equipment released, until I paid the additional cost. Which drove the total cost up by over $300.00. I had to contact a broker and have them process the package, pay them then have it sent to me. This whole exercise angered me and I spent a few days on the phone with our customs people. I was informed that, had this helmet ben a motercycle helmet, a skidoo helmet, a helmet to protect the noggon of those who would ride a piece of fiberglassed plywood down a handrail at city hall..well..I would not have to pay duty etc.....but as this helmet included several individual pieces ie; visors, mike, ear pieces....it was not considered as safety equipment as such and I had to pay. Well...you can imagine my confusion. But, as I have said here before, it is they who know what articles should be charged duty etc. in order to best protect us from a randome, incidious attack on our freedome! (sorry to whyne..but an oppertunity is an oppertunity).

Buying an Alpha too actually, probably from the same place - Integrated Helmet Systems in North Carolina. I was going to go with Maxcraft in BC, but even if I do end up paying customs/duty it's still going to work out a few hundread bucks cheaper buying from the states.

I'll give customs Canada a call and see which way they want me to bend over.

Buying an Alpha too actually, probably from the same place - Integrated Helmet Systems in North Carolina. I was going to go with Maxcraft in BC, but even if I do end up paying customs/duty it's still going to work out a few hundread bucks cheaper buying from the states.

Good plan...MAy I suggest you ask them about the individial pieces thingy...I still think I got ripped....Yes..same place and like I said, the price of the lid itself was good..the people helpful and it only took a week or so to gte it to the border...I was pleased, until our side got involved.

Guest Angry Egg Driver

Get the place you are buying it from to put a repair tag on it and on the shipping invoice.The company i bought my Gallet from last year from did that and no tax or duties were charged because they think you already own it.

Cheers

Guest JeffyG

ditto... actually my new gallet showed up this morning a few days shy of 9 weeks after the day i phoned it in. excellent service, lh250 with hush kit, liner, yellow and dark visor, visor protector.. etc etc for 1808 canadian.

still heavier then i thought but not as bad as my sph 5, no duty or taxes of any sort as it was a '....repaired' helmet.

one other thing i have heard is that you can get the duty and taxes back from the govenrment if you have paid them because its protective equipment. i'm sure there is a form for it and a few weeks waiting but probably worth looking into... don't forget to save your paperwork for your income tax...

jeff

If the company won't do that get them to send it to a buddy in the states, and then get them to put it in a different box and send it as a "gift".

This is what I thought too, the 'Gift' excuse only covers up to $60.00 of the declared value, you will still have to pay duties and taxes on every dollar above $60. Trust me, I got tagged on a $500.00 'Gift' from the states just before Christmas.

Guest heli206212

Hey 3lions,

Just a suggestion on purchasing the helmet from Safety Products. Keep in mind you may need to one day have some service or parts, etc. done on or for the helmet. I bought from Safety Products where you are looking, and the service I have received there is the worst in the industry. My experience of course.

But my point is if it only a lillte more expensive from Max, I would personally deal with them, because the service from Max has been great.

When you purchase your helmet , you must consider the support and service from where you buying it from.

If you search on here , you will see most guys like their Alpha helmets, but some have had poor support from Safety.

Anyway, just some food for thought. All the best, and it is a great helmet.

Take care