Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Long Line Weather Mins

I am sure that everyone out there has flown in less then perfect weather conditions. Reduced vis, low cloud, fog etc... I am wondering when you tell the customer that there will be no more long lining. I mean just flying crews around you can get through some ugly stuff but you add 50 feet of line and equipment below you and that adds up to a recipe for disaster in my opinion. If you only have to move something 200 feet than thats one thing, but if you have to go 25 nm through hilly terrain that is something different.

So for all the old time long liners out there, how far will you push it to get the job done?

SET YOUR OWN LIMITS! This is a important responsibility as the PIC!

Set your limits at what your comfortable with, not someone else, or you might find yourself saying very quickly, "I wish I was on the ground right now!!"

Then, very shortly therafter, we all will read about you in here.

Other than search and rescue or a life saving event, I have never seen a job that was that urgent, that it could not be done the nextday or the day after.

ITS CALLED PDM and you will "LIVE" by using it to your own capabilities.

Do not under any circumstances break those rules or be influenced by anybody other than yourself, because you are the one that lives or ??? with the results.

Don, Bin there Done that.

My 2 cents: Ideally, high enough to punch the load, turn into wind, flare, etc etc. Anything less than that is LESS than ideal and I start to think about my options. My absolute limit is when I start to wonder ifthe load's gonna go into the trees. If I have to ask THAT question, I'm definitely outta my comfort zone!

Cheers,

I agree with all opinions expressed so far, personally I want 500 agl. I'm not good with a line, not enough use and I want all the odds in my favor. 'Course I usually want odds in my favor whatever I'm doing.

May be off topic but I was 'accused' of using a long line too much, like when it wasn't necessary. I use it to stay as current as posssible, even when it's not necessary. The load can go as crazy as it wants, it's 100ft below the helicopter.

BP

May be off topic but I was 'accused' of using a long line too much, like when it wasn't necessary.

BP

Pardon?

I think that requires some more info. Who accused you, and why? I can't remember the last time I belly hooked anything, what's their point? You need to use the line to be proficient at it, it's not going to come to you in your sleep.

AR

My own personal limits are above what most will accept, and above Low Vis limits......reasons are simple, the aircraft is 90' long and on wheels, our lines are generally 250-300' long.....and in my old age, I'm just a big "chicken" :blink: