Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Working While Training?

lotus steve

Hey there,

I'm bearly two months into the CPHL at Heli-College Canada in Langley and working while attending full time. Its a tough balance mentally and physically. I'm self employed in construction so schedualing is a little more compicated. Pretty much.....fly when I can. If I could, I'd love to be attending full time but I've only been able to bearly make this happen $ so I'm working to pay all the extra bills, rent, phone etc while in school. Really......if you want it.....MAKE IT HAPPEN, what ever you have to do. However, I've realized through experience that being well rested for me is very important to material retention and fatigue in the copter durring the lesson. You sure want to be attentive and maximize your time in the air.

By the way, the school I'm at is superb. I did lots of searching out schools and I'm so happy I'm here at Heli-College, props to Lyle, Geoff and all the others who make it great.

I did a 115hr course from 2002-09-09 to 2003-01-31 while working 4 on 4 off.

To do this I "pre-schooled" myself over the summer of 2002 in air law, nav, wx and theory of flight using a couple of manuals and a local fixed wing school for the odd (paid) sit down with specific questions that arose.

This enabled me to miss the odd hour or two of heli ground school to get to my nightshifts on time. The school was flexible and supportive of me using this approach which was also needed.

100ft

100ft,

That's must have been a busy 5 months.

Good idea about the pre-studying, I've read a few books from the library, but I will be buying the books soon from the company that I decide to train with, and then hitting the books every chance I get.

Congrats!

Are you flying now?

Steve,

Thanks for the validation. It was busy but we had our first child two months later so it could have been MUCH busier.

I am working now flying charter work in the same machines I trained on so am quite fortunate.

Good luck.

100ft

100ft,

That's must have been a busy 5 months.

Good idea about the pre-studying, I've read a few books from the library, but I will be buying the books soon from the company that I decide to train with, and then hitting the books every chance I get.

Congrats!

Are you flying now?