Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Simulator

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There probably is some good points to this FS program, keep in mind heli flying is by touch and feel, and experience. It sounds though it may help out with some of the com procedures, but unless your going IFR, most VFR types of heli's are not outfitted with anything other than a basic gauge and instrument package.

Here is a link that will give an idea what can be done in flight sim that may help the new helo pilot. Actually the whole website is quite informative, but check out this article as it relates to this thread.

http://www.hovercontrol.com/artman/publish/article_71.shtml

I'm quite familiar with Hovercontrol. I fly online with them quite often. I have 125 hours so far with them. Probably about 5 of which isn't helicopters.

I'm glad to hear that the sim has helped people out. I thought it did to, and have tried explaining this to friends and family but they just don't understand why I spend hours on it. haha.

The only bad habit the sim taught was instrument fixation because the screen doesn't give the real outside view.
I also noticed this when doing intro flights. But after the instructor (very nice guy) explained about matching the blades to the horizon I was ok. Just checked the instruments every once and awhile ;)

If you intend to buy FSX ake sure you buy the worlds most powerful computer first!
Man is that ever true! I have it running on my laptop, my laptop is a pretty decent laptop and I can run the sim with settings pretty much at it's lowest settings where in FS2004 there all in the middle.

06HeliMAN, do you actually have FSX? And have you tried SP1 for it? Downloading and installing that doubled my frame rates. I couldn't play FSX if it wasn't for the SP1 update.

If anyone else has stories of Flight Sims helping them please share.

I do have FSX, but I have not been using it much because of the low frame rate. When I do use it I must lower the detail settings below midway. Haven't heard of or tried the service pack. I'll try it and see if it improves anything. Thanks for letting me know Helifly. Earlier I said I own FS95, but I meant Flight Simulator 5.1.

Your welcome.

Never heard of 5.1. Must be quite old.

Incase you need a link for SP1 here it is: Service Pack 1

But make sure when you install it your installing onto a clean version of FSX. By clean I mean no tweaks or downloads that you have installed/done. It will more then likely double your frames as it has with most. Good luck

Your welcome.

Never heard of 5.1. Must be quite old.

Incase you need a link for SP1 here it is: Service Pack 1

But make sure when you install it your installing onto a clean version of FSX. By clean I mean no tweaks or downloads that you have installed/done. It will more then likely double your frames as it has with most. Good luck

Yes, 5.1 is quite old. If I remember right it is Microsoft's first version of Flight Simulator. It runs in MSDOS and will not run on newer PCs. Still a little I like more about it than the newer versions.

I have installed an aircraft addon package which I bought from CompUSA for FSX. Reckon it may interfere with the service pack or should I uninstall the package prior to installing the service pack?

I have installed an aircraft addon package which I bought from CompUSA for FSX. Reckon it may interfere with the service pack or should I uninstall the package prior to installing the service pack?

I would uninstall the package prior to installing the service pack, just to be safe. I'm just going by what the instructions say and what some people have encountered. It may not affect yours, but why take the chance and waste time having to do reinstall everything.