Flight Simulator

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I believe it's true because I've impressed the flight instructors when I went up for the intro flight.

Was this just before he told you how "easy" it would be for you to train at his school?

and fly on instruments on the sim but I get bored quickly now.

This is scary because the first time you hit weather, you will think you can fly through it, (just like the sim), and then we get to read about you in the next accident summary.

Be VERY careful about what you think you learn, and how it will benefit you in the real world. You may be unpleasantly surprised....

Flight sims are fun and great for chewing up some down time. It will help you learn how the system works, lingo, (as one said), but it will not teach you how to fly a helicopter. For that you need a lot of cash, time, and a good instructor.

There are no shortcuts...

Was this just before he told you how "easy" it would be for you to train at his school?

This is scary because the first time you hit weather, you will think you can fly through it, (just like the sim), and then we get to read about you in the next accident summary.

Be VERY careful about what you think you learn, and how it will benefit you in the real world. You may be unpleasantly surprised....

Flight sims are fun and great for chewing up some down time. It will help you learn how the system works, lingo, (as one said), but it will not teach you how to fly a helicopter. For that you need a lot of cash, time, and a good instructor.

There are no shortcuts...

GOOD Post Skids Up, But don't forget about sweeping hanger floors and the Engineers coffee! :punk: :punk:

Most certainly not. She said it is very tough, and requires a lot of hard work. I don't believe she used the word 'easy' throughout my entire tour.

Well, I should hope someone with a pilot's license would have enough brains to realize the differences between a SIM and the REAL world. The weather is obviously much dangerous in real life and should not be flown through without proper training and even then there's still limits.

I agree with you on this one Skids Up. I'm sure their are people who think they are god because they concuqered a flight sim and will try to duplicate it in the real world. Sadly their life will most likely be short lived.

.. but it will not teach you how to fly a helicopter.

This I do not agree with as much. It certainly won't train you on everything, that's the instructors and the real machines job. However, flight school's use sims for a reason - to help you learn to fly. If they were fun and not productive, I doubt schools would include them and actually charge for using them.

Well, I should hope someone with a pilot's license would have enough brains to realize the differences between a SIM and the REAL world. The weather is obviously much dangerous in real life and should not be flown through without proper training and even then there's still limits.

Until you are faced with a customer, (or worse, a boss), that "demands" (they do & will) that you "go", you have no idea of what you will try to fly in. And you WILL think that you can do it because of all the practice you have had, (and the lack of experience you have.)

We all hope that a pilot with a license is smarter than that, but is it not a given.

I doubt schools would include them and actually charge for using them.

Sorry to be so negative, but they will use whatever they think the student will think makes them a better school. Who wants to learn on a 47 (Nothing personal Rob, I trained on one and wouldn't trade for anything!) when you can use the most modern helicopter backed up with the latest version of Bill Gates's dream???

Not saying that they are not of value, there are fun, can teach 'ideas', 'procedures', 'lingo', etc., but I'm willing to bet that there aren't to many of us old timers that say (when the going gets rough), "I wish I had practiced more on the sim..."

IFR excluded of course... :blink:

Take any training aid there is, and take what you can from it, but it is not the answer, to any of the questions.