Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

News Helicopters Collide

My condolences to all involved.

I flew a news helicopter in LA a couple years back. I knew this would happen sooner or later.

It's not reasonable to expect an individual to fly the helicopter, direct the cameraman, coordinate with production and do live on-air reports.

In LA, we could have as many as 7 or 8 helicopters covering the same event. Police choppers below 500 TV choppers from 800 to 1200 (100ft separation) and radio choppers above that, all in clockwise orbits. Scary...

When flying in close quarters like this, you have very little margin for error. If the pilot's attention is focused on the ground, he may tend to loose his positional awareness. One of the two pilots probably didn't notice his altitude was decaying (or climbing) because he was too focused on the chase.