Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Best Or Worst Job

Guest graunch1

Guest graunch1

What was your best job? Either a single incident or a season or whatever.

My best was working in Tuk on S61 and S76s in a Hangar :) No bosses for 1,200 miles

Worst was in Ft Nelson sharing a B47 cockpit with 7 Brazillian mosquitoes while rewiring the radio.

How much OFF is too much :wacko:

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best jobs

Product Support Engineer - major turbine engine manufacturer

Product Support Engineer - major helicopter manufacturer

Worst Job

Dynamic component technician/inspector - major helicopter manufacturer being run by unprofessional bullies

Lesson learned - It's not what you do, it's who you do it for!

Worst job: When I was just the lowly cleaner.....behind the aft pressure bulkhead in a firefighting DC-6 there are anti-ice ducts for the vertical stab. In this particular aircraft, these ducts were blocked off or plugged. This plug is lovingly referred to as the 'coffee can'. An engineer had opened up the inspection panel of the bulkhead, flicked his flashlight over the area, put the bulkhead panel back on and handed me the screwdriver with a "you have fun with that" look on his face. I re-opened the panel, stuffed my light inside and realized that the 'coffee can' had exploded due to a plethora of dead birds that had collected in said orifice. Those that were not hung up in the remanents of the can had been dragged through all the flight control pulleys and cables. Not to mention the collected residue of a season worth of Firetrol swimming with maggots. Took me three, eight hours days to clean said areas. Counted 13 discernable carcasses...plus unknown number of bits too far gone to know where one stopped and the others began.

Kicker: sitting down the first afternoon to a lunch of chicken and rice.

Best Job: knowing those places don't exist in helicopters.

Best job: When I was an apprentice, Jim Masse sent me to Penticton and forgot I was there.

I was there for almost 4 months, staying in a hotel, enjoying the single life, keeping my mouth shut when he found me again.

Worst: Winter seismic south of Grande Prairie one year when the temps dropped down to -46C. You had to wait for it to warm up to -40C so you could start working. Blew the water pump in the Dodge truck. Had to change it there. Had a broken wire somewhere in the hook release circuit. LED Multimeters don't work in the cold. Not even with the Herman Nelson on it. It was easier for me to rewire that circuit than try and find the break.

By the time I finished that tour, I had lost the skin off all my fingers. Frostburn.

I had actually called the office to say I quit. Had enough. BG laughed at me and hung up. Another AME did drive in to camp a few days later to see if I was still there, and see if everything was all right. The job was winding down at this point.

Worst job: I re-opened the panel, stuffed my light inside and realized that the 'coffee can' had exploded due to a plethora of dead birds that had collected in said orifice. Those that were not hung up in the remanents of the can had been dragged through all the flight control pulleys and cables. Not to mention the collected residue of a season worth of Firetrol swimming with maggots.

Kicker: sitting down the first afternoon to a lunch of chicken and rice.

post-824-1186288598_thumb.gif Sorry, ValK. Musta missed that. Too funny! Mmmm...