Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tunes And Flying...

Just wondering what others might think about this. I haven't done this since a room mate got killed in a fixed wing crash several years ago. She was the one that flew me to camp that tour and several weeks later i flew to a different location for maintenance listening to tunes when i found out what happened only the day before i arrived. (coincidentally close by) For a long time i never listened to anything then one time on a ferry flight i thought "why not" Headed north and was trying to get a disc in the cd player (ya i know...old school!) flying up and down & all around and then it donned on me...I have way more important things to pay attention too than listen to music. Haven't tried since. What's your take??

I have noticed that I tend to vary when I listen to music in the a/c. I find it to distracting when landing to pickup and drop off passengers multiple times a day. It is agrivated I think because my music choice is different then most people, so I don't want to impose it on my passengers. Nonsense, anoying and dangerous trying to turn off your music while toed in at 7000' trying to pickup two passengers. I find that I tend to listen on longer ferry flights or when I am in the a/c alone( slinging). Even then, I try to monitor my attention level and have turned it off when I feel that it is becoming distracting. The other thing I do is try to make sure that I set the level at a point where it doesn't override the warning audio system in the a/c as well as engine and rotor noise.

cheers

I've always had tunes going if the means was there, MP3 cd's in a 407 across the country sure is a good thing! Same with heli-skiing, bag swinging etc,,, I suppose it's not for everybody but to each there own. So the mp3 adapter from merit apparel, how much?

I've always had tunes going if the means was there, MP3 cd's in a 407 across the country sure is a good thing! Same with heli-skiing, bag swinging etc,,, I suppose it's not for everybody but to each there own. So the mp3 adapter from merit apparel, how much?

It's about a 150 bucks u/s i think, totaly worth it, it also allows you to talk on your cell phone through your helmit

Guest heli206212

I believe it is approx. $ 260.00 U.S. and it can be used for your cell phone as well.

But you can check it out on their web site also.

Who's listening to what the helicopter is doing while your listening to music? An unusual sound may be the first thing you hear that something is going south. This sound my very well save your life or millions in extra repairs if you don't get on the ground in a hurry. Flying with music on is like putting one foot in the grave.

Buzzard,

I disagree, I was listening to music when I had an engine failure in a 206. Head out the door, longlining. I still managed to hear the rpm coming down in a split second. Good training will set the skills required to complete an emergency landing into your instinctual mind. That's my thinking anyhow.

Maybe I just got lucky?