Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

More Silly Questions

Guest Bullet Remington

Gotta Buddy of mine that worked on them a while bacl in Afganistan.

He's since retired (from the Russian Airforce) and immigrated to Canada, works at test bench for a company out of Edmontchuck. Called him and asked him about the machine.

He's informed me that machine, as well as most helicopters manufactured in the former USSR, had a fixed life on it. Something like the Robbies. After so many cycles and hours it's supposed to head back to the factory for a honking overhaul/rebuild.

Stated that those things were designd to fly to the max life, and that was it, back to the factory.

I concur with Chas, I had a chance to look one over a few years back, over in the mountains, those things are built to work. I don't know about the later models, but the one I was looking at had a titanium floor in it. Simple design, well built.

I do believe ##### has hit the nail on the head. There is no agreement between the former USSR and Canada, on pretty much everything aviation from that area.

While it is not impossible to get one certified or a type certificated, man, ya better have a heck of a contract. Cause it's gonna cost ya an arm and a leg and probably two hockey socks full to get the certification.

Last lime I saw the VIH Kamovs, they were being maintained by Russian mechanics. Don't know if they got any of the Canadian guys certified on it or not.

The panel up grades carried out by KFC were on the VIH machines to bring the avionics up to North American standards.

Anybody else have anything on these?

Guest graunch1

I know when TC gave VIH approval for them they (TC) felt later it was going to open a can of worms as the machines did not meet Canadian type rules - at least in TC's mind. This was a senior (as in very Senior, Mandarin from the Puzzle Palace on the Rideau) who told me about the entire process. That being said, obviously the machines have worked out good.

I was invovled in a USSR-Canada venture many moons ago to bring YAK 40s to Canada before anyone even heard about Regional Airlines. The deal fell through because TC was under pressure to not approve the a/c as the Dash 7 was about to come out and the Russians helped out by not submitting any decent documentation. You have to realize that by documentation it includes items that we would take for granted such as AN or NAS hardware as they had no certification or process documentation on how they built their hardware much less an aircraft. fun while it lasted and I got a trip to the URRS in the midst of the Cold War :unsure: