Hot Re-fuel

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here is a incident I found on the CADORS ! Interesting considering your comments!

Select for print preview

CADORS Number: 2007C2142 Reporting Region: Prairie & Northern

Occurrence InformationOccurrence Type: Incident Occurrence Date: 2007/07/30

Occurrence Time: 0454 Z Day Or Night: day-time

Fatalities: 0 Injuries:

Canadian Aerodrome ID: CYYH Aerodrome Name: Taloyoak

Occurrence Location: Taloyoak (CYYH) Province: Nunavut

Reported By: NAV CANADA AOR Number: 83463-V1

TSB Class Of Investigation: TSB Occurrence No.:

Event InformationAlleged Canadian Aviation Regulations (CARs) infraction

Aircraft InformationFlight #:

Aircraft Category: Helicopter Country of Registration: CANADA

Make: BELL TEXTRON - CAN Model: 206L

Year Built: 1976 Amateur Built: No

Engine Make: ALLISON Engine Model: 250-C20R/2

Engine Type: Turbo shaft Gear Type: Land

Phase of Flight: Parked Damage: No Damage

Owner: CUSTOM HELICOPTERS LTD. Operator: CUSTOM HELICOPTERS LTD. (3207)

Operator Type: Commercial

Detail InformationUser Name: Ridley, Rod

Date: 2007/07/31

Further Action Required: Yes

O.P.I.: Aviation Enforcement

Narrative: The pilot of a Custom Helicopters Bell 206 landed at Taloyoak, exited the helicopter while it was still running, then proceeded to refuel the aircraft.

Please note that for the most part, CADORS reports contain preliminary, unconfirmed data which can be subject to change.

Interesting...I work for a company that was recently 'caught' doing the same act and requested the pilot call the inspector for discussion. It seems that the Pacific Region is taking the stand they have nothing to enforce as the CARs say that precautions must have been taken to keep a/c from moving and not left unattended. Although they frown upon the practice they legally have nothing to enforce. Interestingly enought they mentioned nothing about the fact the act contravenes the Company Ops Manual.

It will be interesting to see the result of the previous CADORs action.

koalaa 119

CARs may not be the concern. The pilot may have violated that airport's policy on hot refuelling. Taloyoak has its own refuellers, that you call to come and pump the fuel. More than one problem with what the pilot did. Hazeus

koalaa 119

CARs may not be the concern. The pilot may have violated that airport's policy on hot refuelling. Taloyoak has its own refuellers, that you call to come and pump the fuel. More than one problem with what the pilot did. Hazeus

Wait 2 hours, call out fee $100.00. 2 aircraft $200.00. No bargains, and no service.

Wait 2 hours, call out fee $100.00. 2 aircraft $200.00. No bargains, and no service.

Are you sure it isn't 90 after hours? I'm thinking that I've been there before. Excellent coffee at the terminal and good people, have to rinse out your own cup though. There is service there, never had a problem. So lets just break all the rules................... :rolleyes: Hazeus

Guest Angry Egg Driver

That was a Delta 204 1/2.The kid refueling looked over to see if the pilot needed anymore fuel and as he did so the fuel hose came out of the tank and was directed into the exhaust stack.Apparentley the pilot looked over and saw the kid running and then figured out that he was on fire.I'm sure if Downwash is still around he can clarify a little better....

I was in Pelly Bay (Kuggaruk?) and I advised the guy in the tower I would be in for fuel in 2 hrs, can he please contact the refueling guys. I then told him every 30 mins I would be in for fuel.

I arrived there about the same time as a Canadian Helicopters LR on floats. We both waited 2 hrs for the refuelers to turn up, and when they did we were told to move because "the plane" is coming in (First Air Commercial flight). Seeing as I was close to camp, the Canadian guys still had 300 miles to go, I moved away from my pad and let them have the only other close spot to get fuel.

Not to mention we both got hit up for cash....because of the call out fee!

I know 3 pilots who have been asked for cash.

So I got tired of waiting around for hours, it happened more then once. So I hot refueled one day...they were quick to get to the airport then!

So I got tired of waiting around for hours, it happened more then once. So I hot refueled one day...they were quick to get to the airport then!

Why would you have to "hot fuel"in this instance? Why not just shut down and fuel and then leave?

I have and do hot refuel and never have had a problem. It is not something you can or should do every time, but if the situation is suitable, and precautions are observed, it's a non issue.

Frictions on, don't trust the hydraulics, and don't leave the machine. If set up properly, you will not need to go outside the rotor disk...

Common sense,

...is there any out there anymore?