Hot Re-fuel

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A few years back, we were building a power line in Sask. near La Ronge, and I was on a 206 pulling sock line, hanging insulators and doing tower landings, just having fun.

We were hot refueling most times, because of the 3 min. idle rule, and on this particular day, my first refuel I got out and started the refueling process when I noticed fuel dripping from the engine compartment drain.

I walked around the machine, and the fuel filter thats sits near the back of the engine compartment was weeping a very noticeable amount of fuel, and when I tried to hand tighten the bowl, it FU#king moved!

Low and behold, the engineer had decided to start his 100hr, and must have replaced/cleaned the filter, and only finger tightened the bowl.

Now, I,m not pointing fingers, because we all know sh#t happens, but my point here is if I had not been hot refueling, and the fuel system under pressure, I could very well have missed the leak, only to have the machine flame out when I was low, slow, and behind the curve.

Like it has been stated previously, there is a time , and a place when it is appropriate, and I,m living proof.

GWK

Had a buddy notice a fuel valve leak while hot refueling a 206 B. I don't see a problem with it as long as your not dumb about it. Nice level solid surface, throttle rolled back and the frictions on, and the machine will stay there all day and you wont have a problem.

I can only mention a word of "caution" about hot-refuelling with the frictions "On". On some a/c one of the T/R pedals will want to "walk" forward if the a/c is not on a completely left surface. As an example, if the 205/04/12 are not on a completely level surface, the pedals will sometimes "walk". If they decide to "walk", then she may walk herself off of a pad and into danger with you trying to catch-up and get inside. There have been two such accidents in Canada (205 & 212) during my career and in both cases the a/c were total 'write-offs'. In short..........take note and be careful.

Guest 1cloud
So is leaving your car running while going into the variety store....but people do it all the time. At least i don' have to worry that someone will steal my machine!

There is a time and a place -30 , the black flys so bad you cant see out the windscreen, as for refuel'n in the north out of sight out of mind works, and do it your self . the northen service sucks $$$

Elvis - Thou has a very good memory sir. Not many folks remember that one and I guess you and I are two of those few. Saddest part to me was that it was an almost new a/c and a nice one too......but alas, she 'walked' off a large, newly constructed pad, down over the end and was no more. It didn't have to happen because I had cautioned the pilot only days before to be careful about that during a conversation. He said he found it hard to believe that about them, but he found out different two days later. Boosted T/R pedals on the older 206's used to do the same thing and make the a/c want to 'wander off' on occasion.

Whenever I was working in the artic, I never shut the a/c down while re-fueling. Had a start switch break on a 500 and boost pump both quite at the same time, so it conviced me to leave it running. Another reason is I had a :punk: weak battery and I would have a hard time getting it started again.

Whenever I was working in the artic, I never shut the a/c down while re-fueling. Had a start switch break on a 500 and boost pump both quite at the same time, so it conviced me to leave it running. Another reason is I had a :punk: weak battery and I would have a hard time getting it started again.

My sentiments exactly. I believe that with a flipped left pedal, trim breaker pulled and frictions locked on a 500 your worries are minimal. I'm also talking about those days where you fly 7-8+ hrs on just a few starts, especially on jobs where you are lifting 1000Lb+ loads that require minimal fuel.

John Moore,

In my humble opinion, you have long ago lost your last bit of CREDIBILITY on this forum. :down: Do yourself and all of us a favor and refrain from posting here unless you can begin to add something worth while to the topics. It is painfully clear to all (except yourself I guess) who read your posts that you have an axe to grind with the heli industry. My suggestion to you; learn to be objective and constructive or please move along.

go coastal