Canadian Military Heli Pilots

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What an unfortunate way to learn about this forum. It looks like a lot of great stuff in here, I'm glad I was led here.

I'm a military helicopter pilot, and I can assure you this is not the behaviour that is encouraged of us. Please consider that we aren't all like this. I don't paint all civilian pilots with the same brush as one who does something wrong, nor do I try stereotype anyone with such a limited view.

I learned of this at a private forum full of CF pilot's. The behaviour of the few military pilots mentioned here has raised a lot of anger and discussion. Whether this is reported or not, it will be discussed at many levels and hopefully it won't happen too often in the future.

I really appreciate chatting with any other pilots when I'm away from home, and would not resent being informed of the way things are usually done. If we treat each other as professionals, I'm sure any of the CF pilots would feel the same.

Cheers,

Matthew.

Guest bag swinnger
What an unfortunate way to learn about this forum. It looks like a lot of great stuff in here, I'm glad I was led here.

I'm a military helicopter pilot, and I can assure you this is not the behaviour that is encouraged of us. Please consider that we aren't all like this. I don't paint all civilian pilots with the same brush as one who does something wrong, nor do I try stereotype anyone with such a limited view.

I learned of this at a private forum full of CF pilot's. The behaviour of the few military pilots mentioned here has raised a lot of anger and discussion. Whether this is reported or not, it will be discussed at many levels and hopefully it won't happen too often in the future.

I really appreciate chatting with any other pilots when I'm away from home, and would not resent being informed of the way things are usually done. If we treat each other as professionals, I'm sure any of the CF pilots would feel the same.

Cheers,

Matthew.

That was exactly the kind of reply to this thread I was hoping for.

Thank you, and welcome to the forums Mathew.

Bags

I really appreciate chatting with any other pilots when I'm away from home, and would not resent being informed of the way things are usually done

While we appreciate that not ALL are like the examples cited, the way things are usually done, is the same in all walks of life.

Would you go to the gas station and leave your car in front of the pumps after you have fueled while someone is waiting?

Would you leave your groceries on the checkout while you decided to check out something else while others are waiting?

Would you stand in line long after you bought your ticket causing others to wait?

Would you...???

So many things are common sense, treat others like you would want to be treated. Regardless of your training, military or civilian, you're just another pilot that either helps or hinders those who are waiting.

Their shouldn't be any difference because of how we are trained, or how we should act depending on what uniform we are wearing.

On a funny note at the pump, one of our medium engineers walked over to a Herc sitting on the ramp, and said, "We're getting ready to take off, you may want to secure your aircraft!" :lol:

He said they didn't even crack a smile.... :blink:

I met a couple of Military pilots and two Griffion heli's up in Pelly Bay.

After i landed the 206, and being a friendly chap I went over to say hi.

I must say they were pretty good guys. They showed me around the machine, told me abit about the systems and even allowed me to sit in on a startup...didnt let me have a go at hovering though, they lost points there haha.

They did take a photo of me with the heli, as its nothing like the old Iroquois UH-1H we have back in NZ.

All in all, I was pretty impressed with them. And they parked in the corners of the apron.

Saying that I have met some "god's gift to aviation" people, from 100hr wonders, high time civilian and also military.

But it was a pleasure to meet these guys!

...I once "hopped' over a 212 to the pump in Williams Lake since they were still walking around their 212 wondering how they could get airborne with only four four people looking at the ground. A young chap walked up to me to complain and I told him to help me with refuelling so that I could get out of their way...

Missed this earlier....are you saying you directly overflew their aircraft?

Cheers,

AV8TOR

Did the military in both peacetime and combat. I can safely report that neither the civilian world of flying or the military have a monopoly the the best, the worst or anything else concerning aviation. We ALL have a 'brain cramp' every so often and those that haven't had one.......please don't be too quick to say so. :D

Let's not cast too many stones here lads. There are knuckleheads in every field of life,including aviation whether it be civil or military.

This thread was posted in a military forum and the pilots involved responded to it. They all agreed that more courtesy was needed but also explained that what was witnessed had more to it. As for the waiting Jet Box that pilot had been asked by the military guys if they needed to move right away and they were told there was no rush.

As for the C172 the rotorwash comment was meant in jest by someone with a very dry wit. That pilot felt awful when she read the way it was taken.

I spent 24.5 years flying military and mixed often with my civilian brothers without difficulty and vice versa. Now that I fly without a crew of 30 (just kidding here) I find the same thing. The bottomline is courtesy and remember there are always two sides to a story.

As for the military guys/gals, they receive plenty of training but it is all geared to a crew environment and they fly machines with autopilots and flight directors plus they always do challenge and response crew checklists. That's just the way it is but it means it takes longer to start a CH146 than a 212. They suck at longlining but could fly circles around you in tactical aviation and IFR.

We all share the sky and ramp space, just talk to each other and you'll see they aren't so bad, and vice versa just like Hughesy found out when he made the effort.