Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

M1 And M2 Licenses? What Is The Difference?

surfshark

Am I correct in thinking that the M1 license is for all piston engined aircraft and helicopters and that the M2 license is for all gas turbine aircraft and helicopters regardless of weight. I know it is a dumb question and that this is how TC define it on their website, but I am currently filling in my experience sheets for my M1 & M2 license's and have been advised that the Bell 206, AS355 and MBB105 are actually M1.

is this the case??

thanks in advance

Surfshark

:wacko:

To hold an M2 (rotary exp.) you need to have a 212 or 412 "endorsement" or larger!

Who's yer daddy, thanks for the info, however M2 is not the problem. hopefully have enough experience in M2 cat.

I guess my question should have been

"when filling out my M1 experience sheets can I use B206,AS355 and MB105 or does it have to be purely non tubine engined rotorcraft as TC suggest on their website."

I was advised that B206 AS355 & MB105 were M1 and have almost finshed my worksheets, however when checking with the TC website it clearly states M1 as being non turbojet aircraft.....

Just wanted to check up before I rewrote them for piston engined rotorcraft.

cheers

Surfshark

:unsure:

Sounds to me like you could get either or?

8) Ratings.

(a) The scope of maintenance release privileges will be indicated by rating designators entered on the licence, as follows:

(i) M1: Non-turbojet aircraft built to CAR 522, 523, 523-VLA, 527, 549 and equivalent standards (includes all airframe, engines, propellers, components, structures, and systems of those aircraft), and the aircraft listed in paragraph 566.03(8)(B).

(amended 2003/09/01; previous version)

(ii) M2: All aircraft not included in M1 (excluding balloons) (includes all airframes, engines, propellers, components, structures, and systems of those aircraft), and the aircraft listed in paragraph 566.03(8)(B).

(amended 2003/09/01; previous version).

(iii) E: Aircraft electronic systems. (includes communication, pulse, navigation, auto flight, flight path computation, instruments and the electrical elements of other aircraft systems, and any structural work directly associated with the maintenance of those systems);

(iv) S: Aircraft structures. (includes all airframe structures);

(v) Balloons.

(B) Holders of either an M1 or M2 rated AME licence also have maintenance release privileges for all:

(amended 2003/09/01; no previous version)

(i) turbine powered helicopters; and

(ii) SFAR 41C aeroplanes, including their associated variants and derivatives.

(9) Additional ratings.

An AME may apply for additional ratings by meeting the requirements specified in 566.03. Credit will be granted for any requirements that were met in qualifying for the currently held ratings.

Information Note:

Individuals who hold both an M1 and M2 rating will not be issued any additional ratings (e.g. E or S ratings), as those privileges are already held within the scope of the combined M1/M2 rating privileges.

Guest who's yer daddy

Marc,

So holding a M1/M2 now qualify's an individual to sign out "s" and "e" work or am I reading things wrong?

Surf,

The 2x6 gave me my M1 status. You should be good to go "pistonless" I never even wrote that exam way back when.

Who's yer daddy, thanks for the info, however M2 is not the problem. hopefully have enough experience in M2 cat.

I guess my question should have been

"when filling out my M1 experience sheets can I use B206,AS355 and MB105 or does it have to be purely non tubine engined rotorcraft as TC suggest on their website."

I was advised that B206 AS355 & MB105 were M1 and have almost finshed my worksheets, however when checking with the TC website it clearly states M1 as being non turbojet aircraft.....

Just wanted to check up before I rewrote them for piston engined rotorcraft.

cheers

Surfshark

:unsure:

All turbine light and intermediate helicopters apply to your M1. (Bell 206, MD 500, AS350...)

Guest graunch1
Marc,

So holding a M1/M2 now qualify's an individual to sign out "s" and "e" work or am I reading things wrong?

Surf,

The 2x6 gave me my M1 status. You should be good to go "pistonless" I never even wrote that exam way back when.

E sign outs are another issue as some of the work is classifed differently. For instance you can install a DME but you cannot recertify an encoding altimer as it is specialized work and requires an AMO signout in 99% of cases by an E license. Usually this can apply to anything that requires the use of specialized test equipment such as the Transponder tester for the encoder test. Most of theE signouts are AMO related anyway. M1M2 can signout the simple items such as box changes etc.

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Is there a cutoff point where helicopters become M2 ratings, ie a weight limit/number of engines, or better still is there a list anywhere giving all M1 helos and M2 helos.

I have trawled the TC website and the internet and can find nothing definitive.

thanks again

Surf.

:up:

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated.

Is there a cutoff point where helicopters become M2 ratings, ie a weight limit/number of engines, or better still is there a list anywhere giving all M1 helos and M2 helos.

I have trawled the TC website and the internet and can find nothing definitive.

thanks again

Surf.

:up:

Maybe it has changed, but I seem to remember the number 6600 lbs. as the threshold between M1 and M2...