Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Is There A Benefit In Putting Low Skids On A Helicopter?

Okay, I,ll bite.

The one and only reason to have high gear in a 206 is - you can use the flight step to take a, well leave a, :shock: well you get the idea. Just make sure your butt is in toward the machine or you will discolour the skid tubes!!! :lol::lol: Except maybe on a Highland machine. Do they paint their tubes that nice brown?? :lol: (Just kidding guys, your machines are perfect the way they are.)

Course I have never actually tried that. It is just a story I heard. :rolleyes:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vortex ------no sir, it was not anywhere in the West, but in "La Belle Province". It was the result of going into the hangar on my days off to find a certain tool I needed for some home renovations. Engineers had finished a complete a/c O/H and were needing a pilot. Guess who walks into the hangar in a hurry to find that tool and gets 'snafued' into being a 'nice guy'. So the DI's were carried out, but 'dumb, dumb' didn't check to see if the clamps attaching the skid gear to fuselage were secured properly. So, with the DI supposedly done properly, the ground run and flight test were commenced and pilot proceeded to make a fool of himself......... even with the CP and Ops Manager looking out the lunch room window. No 'fireside chats' with them occurred after this event because they knew one wasn't needed at all........and they had a hard time keeping a straight face anyway for reprimanding

Since that day, ALL of my a/c DI's involve getting down on my knees if necessary and ascertaining that my skid gear is properly attached to my a/c...........major O/H or not. Over-reaction? Maybe, but that 'event' will never happen to me again. My ego has endured enough scars over the years and I don't need anymore thank-you. Part of my reason for openly admitting this 'event' was to pass-on to others that I know of few others who ever check such an item on a DI, whether it is fresh out of the hangar door from a complete O/H or not...........sooooooooooo beware! The other reason is.........DON'T GO INTO THE HANGAR ON YOUR DAYS OFF FOR ANYTHING.......NEVER!!! ......and NEVER volunteer for anything. :lol:

Okay, I,ll bite.

The one and only reason to have high gear in a 206 is - you can use the flight step to take a, well leave a, :shock: well you get the idea. Just make sure your butt is in toward the machine or you will discolour the skid tubes!!! :lol::lol: Except maybe on a Highland machine. Do they paint their tubes that nice brown?? :lol: (Just kidding guys, your machines are perfect the way they are.)

Course I have never actually tried that. It is just a story I heard. :rolleyes:

Someone made a mention of toilet paper in the 'pilots tool kit' thread. That made me think of the exact same thing you suggested Bugman. Just make sure no one's around... and no bears.