Advice Please

dimwit

Hello everyone,

I'm in the process of deciding where to do my training, and need some advise from your experience. I am trying to decide where to get my license. I find the whole thing a little confusing. It took a long time to get the cash together, and I had to get very creative. But the money is there, and it seems all the schools I talk to want it.

When I talk to schools they all seem to say the right things, but when I read the posts on here and other sites it seems a lot of guys don't get working. So how do you choose a school. I have heard some amazing stats from a few that seem to good to be true. My problem is I'm trying to get the real info, not the sales stuff. So any advise would be very helpful, I can only afford to do this once, so I need to find the right place.

I'm planing to visit my top 3 choices next month, but with my limited knowledge I worry about buying into a sale pitch. I've read all the posts I can on here and it is confusing, one post about foreign pilots kinda scares me. It would seem to me there are a lot of guys who don't get working. So how do I decide, big school or small, old instructor or young, and the different models of chopper are all a little hard for an inexperienced guy to figure out.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Dimwit

Sorry Dimwit,

Don't know what could possibly be added to what's already been said on this subject.

Don't mean to repeat myself, but, aw what the ****... :wacko:

1) Attitude Attitude Attitude - This is what will get you a job. Any moron can learn to fly a helicopter. I don't know of a single flight school in Canada that is a "bad" school. There are as many opinions as to which is the best as there are pilots. If you don't have "the right stuff", any reputable school will let you know early on...

2) Try the different training ships available by doing an intro flight at the schools that interest you. You'll get a feel for the different a/c as well as the instructing staff. You'll also get to hang around and get to meet other students and get an overall vibe for the place.

3) If you're a foreign pilot, or going cross-country to train, don't sign anything or fork over any cash until you've actually visited the school physically. I've seen many foreign students disappointed after signing and sending money to a school without actually visiting it. Also, if you are a foreign student intending to work here after training, make sure you legally can work in Canada. I've never heard of a single operator jumping through the immigration hoops to raise a work permit for a 100 hour pilot...

Your success isn't so much about which school you go to as it is how you approach your training. Your work ethic, attitude and personality will determine how well you do and whether or not you get working afterwards...

Best of luck !

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend going to a school that has an operation buisness as well. Then work your *** off and make them want to hire you.

If not, Bighorn in springbank is a good school, altitude, mountains near by, busy airport and well seasoned instructors.

I agree with attitude being the most important, it's who you are.

Good luck