Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Test Advice Please...

Rob

Hello

I would just like a little advice on the flight test. I currently have 86.9 hours, and I am preparing all this week for the flight test. I am kinda nervous (which I think is normal :D ). I am reviewing all my stuff up until the test, the POH, maps, weather reports, etc... Can anyone give me some advice on the flight test in general. Just curious to get some extra advice. I would greatly appreciate any advice that anyone can give me.

Thanks very much,

Rob

Sounds like you're on the right track. No doubt your Instructor's been giving you good advice already.

I'm sure you're going to do a pre-flight-test trip which will alleviate some of your anxiety. Having seen the flight test in it's entirety is empowering.

On the flight test, treat each exercise as a separate item. Don't let a small error in the diversion, for example, distract you from performing well in the IF portion etc. It's a bit hard to do, but move onto the next exercise and don't dwell on stuff.

Don't start making new stuff up at this point. Just go with what you've been doing for all those hours.

The candidate (that's you) usually rates their performance more severely than the examiner, so don't mentally amplify small errors into huge ones.

On the ground portion, answer the question asked. Don't volunteer too much extra. Some examiners can be like a dog on a bone, they'll keep pursuing what you've brought up in hope of finding a hole. If they do... that's fine, as long as you can put hand to reference to find the answer without too much trouble. Or if not, just tell it like it is - don't know, but don't bullsh*t.

One of my favourite examiners used to tell my guys... "Your Instructor's recommended you. He wouldn't have done that if he didn't think you were ready. As far as I'm concerned you've already got your licence... congratulations. Just don't give me any reason to take it away from you." Spoken in a very non-threatening tone at the end - sort of humorously actually.

Have fun, and fair winds.

RH1

"Your Instructor's recommended you. He wouldn't have done that if he didn't think you were ready. As far as I'm concerned you've already got your licence... congratulations.

What an attitude to have, and a sense of empowerment to give to the student...

If only all were of the same mind and not out to prove how much they know and how easily they can trip up the victim, oops sorry, I mean the the student.

Don't over think it. A flight test is a review of all lessons learned. Your instructor should be able to give you a "practice flight test" that will be close to what you will experience during your actual test.

During your test focus only on the task at hand. when you have finished one exercise and the examiner says "ok, now let's do ....." that means you have met the standard of the previous exercise so do NOT dwell on it. Focus on the next task.

Other than that? Show up early and be prepared. ;)

Good Luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys,

I just wanted to say that your advice was "bang on", because there is a new pilot up there with you!! I passed my flight test, it was the happiest day of my life!!! I can't wait to see what other doors open up for me now. Thanks sooo much everyone!!!!

Rob

outstanding, rob!! you have every reason to celebrate!!

you will have heard this a thousand or more times by now, but it bears saying again... you now have a licence to learn... take all the advice you can get from those who have been around for awhile and you'll be amazed at how soon it will be you giving advice to someone else who will be where you are now!!

fly safe!!! :up: :punk: