Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Low Time Pilots

Blackmac

DO NOT try to explain anything whatsoever to HRDC on ANY level. You will end your efforts feeling certain that you have spoken in depth with "the mentally challenged" and have confirmation our government departments are being led by idiots.

Just ONE example: You are on 'Stand-by' on your contract to be available to fly whenever asked. M0T states that time is to be considered 'On Duty'. On a given day you fly 3.5 hours out of the 8 'On Duty'. As far as HRDC is concerned you can claim and were 'On Duty' for only 4.5 hours......the 3.5 flying and one more hour. They will credit you with that much only because you have D'I's, etc. before and paperwork afterwards to finish.

cap, yeah, your right.

blackmac, i wasn't trying to side track your thread, however i really don't believe i'm that far off track, if off track at all.

i too am trying to get it across that lowtime time pilots need to be given a chance.

apparently the industry is in a slump needing pilots who can work a machine. and having already spent soo much money on initial training, how many lowtimers can spend any more?

upgraded skills brings about more opportunities. and not just for the pilot, but also for an employer as they now will have someone with some foundation to build on.

one of the most innovative, cost effective and versatile tools, in our countries economy, and we're having difficulties filling seats. why?

i look at all the ads and listen to and read all the info i can and all i see and hear is 'experience, experience, experience'.

well i believe the industry needs a boost, and the government should be involved. we need a nation wide program to assist in getting people up to speed.

in the end, does not everyone involved benefit??

loans??......you have to pay it all back....yea...really only one benefactor there :down:

government assistance......i don't think it should just come free....pay tax on it claiming it as a source of income is cool with me....pilot gets assistance upgrading...gov. gets some of it back and makes an investment in you by making you more employable, so now your working and paying taxes, (they like that). and of course you're filling a seat.

'quote'...Leave it to Beaver or HEPAC. Once we are formed they will get the message, believe me. 'quote'

am i off topic??.....or am i just giving them a heads up.

as for hepac...i read the mission statement....count me in :up:

ironclad.

i certainly didn't read that as venting on anyone, IC.. but it's the passion from you new people to the industry that will be needed to propel the rotary wing world to it's next phase...

guys like blackmac and cap and 407D have all done their part... guys like rob and 412D, to name a couple are training the future... and now it's up to the future to continue on their work...

sounds like you have done a lot of trying to enlighten those that hold some of the purse strings.. the biggest thing i think you can do, is to support an association that wants to make it better for everyone... get involved, stay focused, and above all, if this profession is the one you choose, then do all in your power to make it even better for the professionals that will follow behind you!!

Ironclad: Nice to hear somebody venting in the right direction, you are the power of one individual, take all the guys like yourself, join HEPAC and with enough voices in the association, it becomes the power of many. Keep it up.

Twinnie fairly well said it all, it won't happen overnite, but it will happen.

When I was with Spartan Air Services, we used to take experienced photo pilots or ex bush pilots, give them a 25hr check out and send them in the bush with an experienced engineer to keep them out of trouble.

Don

...and send them in the bush with an experienced engineer to keep them out of trouble.

(Sorry, no engineer, but a P/E between the sticks.)

Yeah, mid to late 70's. 100.0 hours in the log book, new license taped to the rack on the 47 so the ink would be dry when you got there, and go north until you hit the Yukon, and bring it back in the fall in one piece.

Tough learning curve but if you made it, you had it made!!

Wouldn't trade it for anything.... :up: