Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bell 210

Guest Aggroeitch

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow!!!! This has been the best thread in a long time. As a new medium pilot this year, I really enjoyed all the facts and history. Especially when I did my endorsment on one of those Air America machines. Sorry some didn't enjoy it.

Oh, and I can't tell you a thing about the 210, but the Eagle Single is a sweet machine.

Thanks for sharing the wealth Cap.

Anyone heard anything about that 205 upgrade where they throw a single PT-6 in it? I wonder if anyone operates those.

I saw one of those just the other day, and man is it UGLY. It's got this stupid looking bassakwards exhaust stack on it. Plus, the incredible slow starting T53 is just better.

Not the best picture, but here is one.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0922390/L/

ChopperBob -------- it's not the first time that the Huey has had a somewhat weird exhaust for it's engine. Augusta Bell made a 204 (one found home in eastern Canada) with a British Gnome engine in it and the exhaust exited the engine cowling on the right rear side. It would, of course, be a very attractive feature for all those hard working, tail-boom-scrubbing engineers out there. :lol:

Bell waffled for many months on the 210 powerplant before resorting to the -17. They wanted a PT-6 but couldn't get a reduction gearbox (Global Eagle makes the conversion to a Pratt that was referred to above; it has a T53 reduction drive bucked onto the output of the PT-6), and also looked into a GE, if the rumour mill in Texas had it right.

The 210, then, was to be built with the upgrade (212) driveline with a 212 nose and a -17. Nothing new, but a sweet spot for the type and in a zero-time airframe to boot. Since Bell never tried too hard to push the 205B when flight testing, they were also going to try and improve the operating parameters with the 210 certification to fix that mistake. Once again, however, Bell dropped the ball - and the project. As far as I know, no 210's were certified.

A more current rumour has it that Eagle might grow a little closer to BHT and become a not-quite-arms-length manufacturer for the 212S. Whether that means Bell will provide "new" airframes to Eagle is not known, but Bell has a history of buying out companies that offer a specific added-value to the Bell brand.

One thing about the 212S, however, is that since TC required a new certification the most current manufacturing standards apply: that means that a single engine aircraft must be limited to 9 pax in the category the 212S falls into. That little restriction prevents the S from being the ultimate seismic drill ship, but it doesn't hurt the utility for fire fighting.