Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Mtn Course

dimit

Getting ready for last tour of the season, sounds like northern SK. Thinking about a mtn course this fall, and working closer to home next year. With 2500 hrs TT and plenty of 206/350 time in hand I can probably get hired on by someone who'll give me a course, but for various reasons I'd rather deal with it myself, hopefully w/ some help from EI... But who's course to take?

Sure, if I had some Brazilian dollars it'd be a no-brainer: Cdn in Penticton. But the season ain't been THAT good, so I'm thinking more locally, in the Fraser Valley.

Can't really afford a 206 course, so it'll have to be an R44, 300, or B47. Got some 44 time a while ago, never been in a 300 nor 47. Does it matter? I suppose if it's a cockpit I'm familiar with I'll spend more time focussing on the exercise and less time figuring out what gauge to look at, but they're not that different, eh? 44's kinda like a little 206, sounds like the 47's similar. I've got enuf time in the 'patch' flying big, fat fellows (I was gonna write something a bit cruder than 'fellows') that power mgmt is 2nd nature, so...

It'd be pretty awesome to train with KO, he's probably forgotten more about mtn flying than most instructors ever knew! How about our friend RotorheadRob, or the folks at TRK? For an approved course, does it really matter, so long as the instructor has a whack of time in the rocks? Hmmm, me thinks instructor quality is, perhaps, the nub of the matter!

As I write, the answers seem clear: 44 or 47 'cuz they'll fly most like a 206 (and none of them'll be anything like an A-Star). Train w/ whoever's got the most time in them thar hills.

I'm just guessing here; anyone got any other ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Please...Do not make the mistake of paying big bucks for the Mt. training at a place that just is a mill. Grinding out pilots that, for the most part, will leave with little or no additional information than with which they came. TRK..nope :down: ...Any school in Abby..nope...for your money and what you might look at as results...the only real training is at Penticton. Real Mt. pilots with REAL Mt. experieance and REAL abilities to pass on information. Just my thoughts though...I did my Mt training there and was humbled by the professional way the instuctors and staff handled all of us on course. I cannot speak for the other 7 military pilots on that course (me the only civy) but I am sure they will agree. They left with more than they came with. :punk:

WOW. :shock: The only real training is in Penticton?? Pretty bold. Yes they have an excellent reputation but don't fool yourself into thinking they are the only place to give professional mountain training. There are some excellent companies and pilots (even in the lower mainland, believe it or not) that can give you some great experience in the mountains. For example, as you mentioned K.O. is doing some mountain courses out of Abby (talk about experience). Anyways, look around and enjoy the course.

Good Luck :punk:

Please...Do not make the mistake of paying big bucks for the Mt. training at a place that just is a mill. Grinding out pilots that, for the most part, will leave with little or no additional information than with which they came. TRK..nope :down: ...Any school in Abby..nope...for your money and what you might look at as results...the only real training is at Penticton. Real Mt. pilots with REAL Mt. experieance and REAL abilities to pass on information. Just my thoughts though...I did my Mt training there and was humbled by the professional way the instuctors and staff handled all of us on course. I cannot speak for the other 7 military pilots on that course (me the only civy) but I am sure they will agree. They left with more than they came with. :punk:

Obviously this post is made by a "REAL" expert within the helicopter industry.... :rolleyes:

There is so much more to a mountain course then the mountains, advanced confined areas, advanced emergencies ( whens the last time you did a full right pedal to the ground), ETC. I find most mountain course students need emergency procedure training. Full right pedals to the ground are always fun!!! All those power recovery "fake" auto's and pedals are catching up with the boys.

I love the rocks, makes everything just that much more fun!!!! No collective means all is in your Right hand!

Get it right or fall !!!!!

Rob

i agree with RHrob and HLog56 on this.

nobody in Abby hey? if i remember right, wasn't KO that taught all those guys in penticton to do it right?

"Sure, if I had some Brazilian dollars it'd be a no-brainer:" you may want to check your latest currency exchange :rolleyes::P

"Too bad Dave Fergussen left for Bell, cause if you could get on with VIH the course up in Rupert is also very good do't know who is teaching it now???"

VIH usually does their Mtn. course in Blue River these days. Sean Fudger and Jason Shaw are the instructors if I am not mistaken.

gc

Darn it anyways. I've known that man since the late 60's, flown with him all over the bloody map many times eons ago and I never knew that KO could 'walk on water' :lol: . Fact of the matter is that naming names in this regard is very dangerous because every one of those mentioned will tell you about at least 10 more that they themselves hold in high regard......and KO would be the first to do so.