Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Question For The Experianced Long Liners Out There

fan

manual is where it is at, lots of times using a elec hook i wouldn't even plug it in, or if it was plugged in i would just pull the cb and have the ground crew manually release it anyways,

Why would you have an electric hook and unplug it? It's not unsafe to use it as it is designed to work. You will come across the time when the crew was suppose to be there and wasn't. Look pretty silly then.

If the helicopter is wired correctly, belly hook on the cyclic, and extended hook on the collective, (OK, my opinion,but it prevents the wrong button mishaps), there should not be any issues. Belly hook can be run unarmedcif desired, and kicked off manually if necessary, leaving only one switch for the long line.

Plus our belly hook requires a "two button" push to release, again helping to avoid the "opps, touched the wrong button" explanation.

The ling line is an amazing piece of equipment that makes some jobs possible, and others a whole lot nicer. Learn to use it properly and you will be employed for a long time...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've never understood why anyone would pull the CB for the belly hook when there is a two-button release on the cyclic, and the longline release is on the collective: there's no way to get in trouble from finger trouble and every chance of making a small problem into a big one if you should ever need to jettison your line.

Whenever spit-second action is required to "save" a situation, you will do whatever you are mentally prepared/trained to do. So, if you always use the mechanical release (foot in Bell mediums, handgrip in 500s or AS350s, t-handle in Bell 206 series, etc) then you'll be fine, but I've never met the pilot who does that - you'd use the nice convenient switch located easy to hand on the controls. Therefore, in the event of a sudden desire to punch off the line your reaction will most likely be to push that button and not to move a hand/foot from it's normal place - and you could spend a lifetime trying to find and actuate the alternate release.

Up to the individual, of course, but why handicap yourself?

i have flown quite a few different machines of the same type with the switches in different places and i just found what worked for me. i wasn't handicapping myself by anymeans either, the manual longline release on a 500 was always in the same spot, i never saw double switches either. i guess i just don't have as much experience as some out there, but different doesn't equal wrong.

i have flown quite a few different machines of the same type with the switches in different places and i just found what worked for me. i wasn't handicapping myself by anymeans either, the manual longline release on a 500 was always in the same spot, i never saw double switches either. i guess i just don't have as much experience as some out there, but different doesn't equal wrong.

No arguement. In a 500 things are well set up and easy to use. 350 is similar. Maybe just the Bells need the two button and a live hook to be safe?

I've found that putting a swivel at the bottom of the line does little to prevent twisting of the line. There isn't anything solid for the swivel to work against. It's got to go at the top where it can work against the fixed hook. If using a remote hook that needs electrical there are swivels that out there that bridge the gap, so to speak.

RH1

Hey Fan, I can certainly sympathize with you. Getting the best gear for the job out of a lot of companies (especially the larger ones) can be difficult. Especially with the attitude of these large companies being, "you'll use what we give you" and "we can't let pilots tell us how to run our company" oh yeah and my favorite "if you don't like it go work for someone else". So.....the solution is easy. Either accept what they give you and go to work like a good little boy or walk away and have a similar battle with a different company.

I had the owner of a company tell me once that all companies are the same and it doesnt matter who you work fo you are going to have similar issues (which was why he started his own company). And his advise to me was to try to find the company that pays the best with the best rotation and benifits along with the type of work you want to do in the places you want to work. From there just do your job as they want it done (within the rules and the law) with the equipnent they provide, accept that's what you have to work with and try to enjoy yourself as much as possible under thoes circumstances. Alternately you can jump from company to company hopeing that the grass is greener on the other side and continue to be frustrated when the situation is the same but different. Since then I've been a lot happier going to work.

As far as the sprctra vs steel and electric vs non electric hook is concerned, don't get too fired up about it. In the end your pocket book will benifit. First of all if the load needs to be released someone has to be there so you'll have to fly them there and back $$$. Second of all you cant get away with as much with an empty steel line so you're approach has to be slower $$$. Lastly because you can't get away with as much with the empty steel line it forces you to be better. In the long run it will be benificial for you. From the safety perspective, just make sure you're gear is in good shape and take good care of it and there should be no problem.

Just 2 cents.

As per the wiring of the switches I was wondering if anyone had a preference for a safety reason as why the switches should be belly hook on the cyclic and remote on the collective. I am all for continuity in a fleet but ours are not that way. Our whole fleet is wired so that the remote hook switch sits on the cyclic and the belly hook switch on the collective. This includes the heavys, intermediates and the lights.

It never seems to matter to me, I just do the best job I can with what they give me. Lighter = slower, heavy = faster.

Steel flies better. Moving drills I prefer a non electric hook. I like a 130 ft line, but 100 is fine, trees get tall add another 50. It seems to me after a few hours I get used to the length and speed at which I can fly empty.

Lets not forget not everyone takes care of thier ops gear, Kevlar lines break after someone lands on it or spills fuel on it. Electric hooks break when you slam them into trees. Ops gear is expensive, and all you can do is the best you can with the gear they give you.

A steel line is tougher, if it has an easily accessible electric cord, it's easier to fix. Fast turns require an electric hook, if your company won't give that to you let them explain the bill to your customer.

A pro always takes care of his gear, but not every one does so. I saw a net sitting for a week at MAYS KITCHEN beside Canadians drums, again ops gear is expensive. So if they are changing to steel it must be because someone isn't looking after it.

After all you do work for them, its their money.

Quick note on pulling the belly hook breaker. I used to do it. Ran into a situation where I would have kicked the line and load if I was able. When things go sideways the LAST thing you are going to do is take your hand off the collective to pull the emergency release. Was able to ride it out and salvage the situation, but I never ever again disarmed the belly hook. That being said, to each his own.