Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The Great Dead Horse... Flight School Selection

Semi_Rigid

Thanks everybody!!!

I know no one can tell me which school is the best or which instructor is.

The info I am searching for is who and where to avoid...

I know no school will guarentee me employment, but I believe there are schools and intructors that have better reputations in the industry than others.

I am looking to hear from any of you as to where and who I should really avoid.

Thanks again 412D and RHROB both your schools are on my short list pending my return to vancouver when I will make my final choice.

keep the great advice flowing!!!

Paul

Just a headsup on something you may have already considered.

Be wary of a recommendation from any one person that says 'stay away from this instructor'. There are alot of...strong minded people in this industry and, as they say, opinions are like @$$holes, everybody's got one. What I'm trying to say is, someone's opinion on the capabilities/quality of a flight instructor may not reflect that person's ability to teach, it could very well stem from a personality conflict between the two, which may be non-existant between you and said instructor!! Give people a chance and make up your mind for yourself. However, if many different people say the same thing, well then it's probably true.

Capiche???

Ok, done with my 2 cents on this one.

Thanks everybody!!!

I know no one can tell me which school is the best or which instructor is.

The info I am searching for is who and where to avoid...

I know no school will guarentee me employment, but I believe there are schools and intructors that have better reputations in the industry than others.

I am looking to hear from any of you as to where and who I should really avoid.

Thanks again 412D and RHROB both your schools are on my short list pending my return to vancouver when I will make my final choice.

keep the great advice flowing!!!

Paul

I hear you on that one Coastal, and I have been and plan to take everything I read with a grain of salt.

I want to find out the good, the bad and the ugly about training from the industry's perspective...

But its exactly like you said, if I get multiple "reviews" of the same person or school, there must be a little basis to it...

Which is why I posted this hoping to get as many responses as possible.

And by no means am I trying to skip the leg work of visiting all the schools first, just hoping to get myself prepared to the point that I will know what to look for and what to ignore when I finally go knocking on their doors...

If i wasnt over 12000km away, I would have already harassed all of them a couple times over by now...

thx

Paul

Sounds to me like you're on the right track Paul.

Best of luck.

Coastal

I hear you on that one Coastal, and I have been and plan to take everything I read with a grain of salt.

I want to find out the good, the bad and the ugly about training from the industry's perspective...

But its exactly like you said, if I get multiple "reviews" of the same person or school, there must be a little basis to it...

Which is why I posted this hoping to get as many responses as possible.

And by no means am I trying to skip the leg work of visiting all the schools first, just hoping to get myself prepared to the point that I will know what to look for and what to ignore when I finally go knocking on their doors...

If i wasnt over 12000km away, I would have already harassed all of them a couple times over by now...

thx

Paul

I would take a .5 hour flight in all three platforms and decide what you like. That will narrow your field down alot, then base the remainder of your chioce on the instructors and the schools history. Most schools will give emails and phone numbers of past students when asked. Bear in mind these students were hand selected by the instructor (one school i talked to 3 years ago gave me 6 or 7 emails all with quite positive feedback, then on coincedence one day i ran into a guy who didnt like the school as much... all of them had jobs though, that was true...).

Everyones opinion will vary, different personality traits in instructors suit different students. Only you can decide this for yourself.

Good luck to you both!... Btw, prepare to fight quite a battel for a job in the spring... there will be some tough competition ;):D