Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Slingload/longline Training

helopel

• 4 months later...

As for as I know longlining is not an endorsement. Its a good idea to get a taste for it but don't spend too much. You have spent enough money on you r licsence already. Even if you have a 5 hour longline course you wont be going out any time soon moving drills. Any reasonable operator will ensure you are up to speed before they send you out as your performance reflects directly on them and their ability to get more work. Good Luck

I agree with Bkstabr.

You could do a 10 hour course, and two weeks later go for a check ride and not be much better than not having done any training. Vref is an art that is 25% skill and 75% repetitive practice. What I mean is, you can have heaploads of natural talent, but unless you practice on a regular basis, you get rusty very quickly. Myself, whenever I go for more than a couple weeks without longlining, it takes me a turn or two to knock the rust off and get my bearings back. They say the longer you do it, the easier it gets.

Normally, vref training is part of your annual company check out. If you're going to spend money, spend it on knocking the rust off just prior to going on a road trip. Doing stuff like confined areas, limited power t-offs and landings, downwind approaches and departures, etc. Don't even focus on emergencies. Know the procedures for every emergency imaginable by heart, but don't spend too much money practicing them.