Cole Posted January 10, 2008 Author Report Share Posted January 10, 2008 You know I dont know what to say to that besides I sincerely hope youre wrong. The 1 mile comment was taken a bit out of context, when we took off we were in 4sm vis easily with light snow but after 30 minutes of working the area 3 miles away the vis fell to about 1.5 miles so I decided to head home and the pilot next to me thought it was a safe choice so we headed home. It isnt like we looked outside to see snow falling in buckets full and decided this was good weather to head off and sling in. I do value my life and the machine and so does my instructor, who owns the helicopters and neither of us will compromise the well being of either my life or the helicopter. I picked this school for its reputation among the 'peolpe who do the hiring' as I know a few and they all said the pilots from KVH were taught well. I heard the story from the only student out of here that had an engine failure, and if it wasnt for the subtle things he learned in training he, and equally importantly the other passengers, would not have survived. The rest of the pilots he work with like to fly 500 feet lower then him and had he been doing that the story would be a lot less inspiring. - With all that in mind Ill go ahead and document todays flights. Both flights today were solo water bucketing with a 150' line in the Jetranger. My first thought when I made the first pickup and drop of the day was that I couldn't believe how anyone can get really proficient and acurate with this. First pickup was a bit sloppy and the drop was a huge miss, second pickup was alright drop was a light hit, third pickup was okay, lift out, something feels not great as I translate, I look down, theres now water haha. I thought that was odd so I put it back in and came back out with some... okay no problem so I returned to my new target, get over it... Click... nothing... CLICK... waters still in there so I decide that the bucket must be frozen. I ***** the situation, 4 miles from the base, lots of gas, a full water bucket I cant dump on the line, a wide open field to the West. I decide It's in my intrest to land and check out the bucket so I check the field out, I already know the winds are calm and Ive been in the area befor so I do a recon to check for snags in the area and fly the bucket in. By this time Im really relaxed and comfortable with about 25 minutes or so into the flight so I notice I have good positive control of the load and that its not really swinging at all. I place the bucket right where I want it (still full) and it just sits upright as I lay down the line and bring the helicopter to ground idle (I mentioned the winds were completely calm) and I went to check the bucket. everything looked fine but it appeared the extension for the release may be a bit loose, after looking at everything else this seems like the most obvious snag so I tighten it even more and take the electrical tape out of my pocket and gave it a few more wraps. I hop back into the machine, seatbelt on, grease on the throttle without exceeding 40% tq and remove the frictions. Pick it up, string the line, get over top of the load and pick it up... Click, Nothing, at this point I decide its in my best intrests to return to base so I hover back down to the ground (about 4 or 5 feet bucket height) and tip the water out. I fly back to base and place the bucket next to the pad without any problems, lay the line down and touch down. Following the shutdown it seems as if the solonoid in the head is frozen thanks to the first pickup so I brought it into the hangar and let it thaw and dry and Wendell pulled the cover off to have a quick look and make sure everything was dry inside. After lunch it was more of the same and once I really started to relax and let the helicopter do all the work everything came together really well, my last probably 20 drops or so were right on target and the pickups were being done with little to no drift. Landing the helicopter back at the hangar was an intresting challenge since there was a major tail wind. I brought the load in cross wind and turned the fuselage into wind with a bit to go and crept it into place with a bit of backing up. Placed it next to the pad no problem and landed the helicopter next to it befor rolling her in for the day. After that I added the amendments to the flight manual for the jetranger that just arrived and then headed home. Tomorrow were back to the airport now that its paved for some more emergencies in preparation for my fligh test which is now on the 28th or so. Cheers. Cole Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.