Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Kick The Tires And Light The Fires!

Cole

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks for the tips Mr. Croucher, I'm just wrapping up the bell 206 book once again, wondering how many times it will take to commit the whole thing to memory haha.

At this point I wish I had better news to share but so far I'm without a job.

I'm far from done trying, I have yet to meet with a couple people thanks to schedule conflicts and such but I'm trying to make that all happen within the week. A few companies have given me an interview in order to give me a chance at whatever may come their way and I'm hoping that will work out some time soon.

Other than that I'm back to work in the non aviation world pretty quick here as my bills are starting to catch up with me and my reserve is pretty much tapped out.

As far as finding checkrides and interviews go, I owe a great amount to both the reputation of my instructor and the help I've gotten from vertical, there are some very helpful people on this site.

Cheers.

Cole B)

As far as finding checkrides and interviews go, I owe a great amount to both the reputation of my instructor and the help I've gotten from vertical, there are some very helpful people on this site.

Cheers.

Cole B)

I concur. There are a lot of invaluable information to be found on here. I have even visited a company which I had no idea it existed, and even tho of course their requirements are not only 100 hrs it's good to have the knowledge in the future.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I suppose I should post a bit of an update.

After much deliberation, I've decided to stop searching for a job. I just can't see the point in spending any more time, money, and effort searching high and low for another shot at a job which may not exist.

I don't know when, if ever, I will start searching for a job as a pilot again, probably not for quite a few years now.

Cole

Wow! Calling her quits after a few months... It took me five years to finally get flying. Sure I took a couple months off looking at a time but I sure as **** never gave up! Cole youre saying that there MAY NOT be a job that exists, persistence WILL find you that hard to find job! Hope you change your mind.

Quitting already?????? Bullpoop you are.

It's only mid May and the country isn't burning yet.

I thought you were premature by hoping for a job in March/April. Very few people hire anyone then, especially low-timers. But that's when you need to get your name and face out there.

The real hiring period for junior ground crews is coming up, when companies get busy they will need an extra pair of hands to help-out. It may not be stick-time but it will be a job.

If a CP calls looking for you and hears you have given-up already, that will tell him a lot about you, huh?

Jobs rarely happen the day you drop-off a resume.

Hang-in there Cole. Stay near home. Work over-time. Save every penny. Work the phone, just to "stay in touch" with a few contacts. Consider another trip in late June.

This is a tough career. It requires people with fortitude and dedication.

If the $60,000 tuition cost doesn't sort the men from the boys, the tough job-search will.

It took me 5 years to get a full-time job........and that was before you were born.

Take a few days off from the business, give your head a shake, take a deep breath, then get back on the horse.

I guarantee you, this will be one of the smaller challenges you will have to face as a Canadian Commercial Helicopter Pilot.

Do you have what it takes, Captain? Or are you just another young kid blinded by the glory?

After 1170 posts we know you pretty well.

You are more than a quitter.

Cole I just discovered this thread this morning and sitting here drinking coffee, I read the whole thing. Gotta tell ya buddy, if you give up looking for a job, I and a lot of other people on this forum would be quite disapointed. You sound like a bright, dedicated and persistant young man. At least you did, where did that go? Maybe you should go back and re-read this thread. I really enjoyed following your experience.

I know, it can be frustrating, and travelling around to look for work can be financially difficult if not impossible, but keep the resumes updated at least. You never know when an operator may have an opening for a low-time driver, even mid season. Heck, mid winter!

I wish I could reccomend you to our outfit but we already have two low-timers we're bringing along.

Anyway, please don't give up, I don't think you will anyway but sometimes it gets a little discouraging. You WILL succeed if you keep trying, you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket.

Cheers

BP