Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Kick The Tires And Light The Fires!

Cole

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

its interesting to see how much faster the course goes by with one less person... i was quoted february sometime and once we dropped the extra person im looking at jan 11 to be outta here. Im impressed.

Having alot of fun.

Cole

Well, thats the target date at this point. I dont quite understand what youre asking so ill wait to respond to the first part of that.

Seeing something fly that you helped work on is actually pretty cool, id just rather be flying.

Btw, they tested the helicopter today but I didnt get up. Not to dissappointed I managed to plow through more studying and get some other stuff done. School let out a little early today and I am talking about moving in with a local family to save costs (400 a month in savings!)

Off to study more. Should be flying tomorrow after some blade tracking.

Cole... BTW rob if what you meant was that flying right away was normal, this school normally does much of the ground school first and students are sent for the written at 50 hours, as soon as theyre legal.

Now looking as well like a 80/20 split 300/206 respectively.

Cole

You've made an excellent decision in choosing Wendell Maki.

Have fun and good luck.

In May of 2002, Bell 206B C-GXHC gave several dozen cadets a 15 minute tour of Ellis canyon near Pencticton B.C. One of these cadets was hooked when the helicopter backed out in a hover.

That cadet then became a student pilot, on to a private pilot, and on October 22 2007 will commence training to be a commercial helicopter pilot!

I still have some fund issues to take care of but as it stands I will start my training in two weeks or so.

Im sure what many of you are wondering is the school and the hour split. The school ive chosen is Kootenay Valley Helicopters om Creston B.C.. The reason Ive chosen this school boils down to reputation (some of the most successful pilots ive ever met have reccomended this school, and when it comes to putting your money where your mouth is, one of the most influential pilots I know and whos opinion I hold in the highest regard, sent his first bourn son to train last spring at KVH)

As for the hour split I will be getting a 206 endorsement at the end of the course, the hour split will be dependant on the funds available. I have also been toying with the idea of an RH44 endorsement.

Wendell Maki Came very highly reccomended by many of his peers including dozens of people from this site.

The only issue that stood out as something most people would be concerned about is the lack of a backup machine. This came to be an issue for last years students who were given the 206 at a SIGNIFIGANTLY reduced rate.

I find the S300 to be my favorite light piston helicopter after flying in the major 3 platforms.

I will be trying to do a weekly blog as i know myself and other lowtimers benefited from both ryan and matts blogs and they were both fun reading aswell.

Helmet- I worked some extra shifts this summer specifically to buy a gallet lh250 from merrit apperal (if anyone knows a cheaper option please let me know ASAP as i plan on ordering it within the next week)

Thats about it!

Thanks to the good people at vertical for the advice over the last 3 and a half years (wow, has it really been that long?) and you can only imagine how excited I am being only a few weeks away from living a dream. :up:

Cole

hehe, yeah it was a few years in the making, not exactly something i decided over night.

So far im really enjoying the course and cant wait to get flying! Wendell has been excelent in delivering all his points and easy to get along with.

Are you en ex student, or colegue?

Cheers.

Cole