Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Labrador Heli Crash

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Skidsup - yes there were 2 412s intimately involved in Spain on a fire - one was picking up water out of a tank and the other came in on top and put his bucket through the rotors. Both pilots survived, I believe, though the one who ended up in the tank was lucky to get away with it.

Phil

I worked with Kenny in June filming ice in Twillingate.

He was such a great guy, just a pleasure to be around.

He was also Romeo D'Allaire's pilot in Rwanda.

Very sad news.

Hmmmm,

2 weeks in Labrador. I guess that qualifies you to to pass judgement on all the professional people who have been working there ,in a very harsh environment, for decades.

Julian, It was a dragic event and a sarcastic remark of a fellow pilot is not required. The observation by Skidz Up, was just that, and probably well founded. In future don't take things personal or out of context.

Somebody made a mistake and that is why it's reffered to as an accident,

Learn from the mistakes of others as you won't live long enough to make them all your self.

Don

Hey skids 122.9 perhaps thats why you never heard much and after two weeks you should have realized that no one is on 126.7 between Postville and Makkovik. Seeing how this happened at the fuel tanks in Postville I don't think there was any confusion about what freq to be on. And i think that every one has been doing very well for the amount of traffic in the area especially when you have guys that are not familiar with the area or the opps buzzing around at 2.5 wondering what freq your going to monitor.( now that i have a good of who you are) I would say more but lam going to bite my tongue before i go to far. Sorry if this sounds sarcastic or crude but personally i think his observation is far from accurate and uncalled for.

My condolences to Kennys family and all who knew him. He was a good guy and a plesure to work around.

Hey everybody, cool it. Being a mainlander and my first time in St John's harbour was 1956 on the back of an ice breaker and having worked the island and the Labrador coast extensively I know what everybody is talking about. If as stated, Ken was in Gander in 75, so was I, I just don't remember him , but the name sounds familiar. I do remember one guy by the name of Mike Maguire (RIP) and a place called the "Albatross".

My comments to Julian were as follows, observations by another person are argumentative at the best of times, but they are just that, observations with good intentions.

It is quite obvious that somebody made a mistake as no pilot would do it intentionally.

My heartfelt condolences to the Family, Friends and Co-workers.

Don

Guest CHEVY II

For those who are wondering:

STEELE, Kenneth (Kenny) James — Passed suddenly after a tragic helicopter crash near Postville, Labrador, October 3rd, Kenneth (Kenny) James Steele, age 51. Predeceased by his parents Angus and Lillian, his sister Doreen (Ayers), brother Peter and brothers-in-law Lester Gettel and Jon Eiseman. Left with loving memories are his brother Ronald; sisters Judith (Hotts), Patricia (Carter), Diane (Gettel), Maureen (Eiseman); brother-in-law Herb; former wife and special friend Sheila (Rowe); many nieces, nephews, relatives and friends. Kenny died doing what he loved most in life — flying, a love that took him to many parts of the world but always back to his beloved Newfoundland. Remains are trusted to the care of Stacey’s Funeral Home, Gander. Visitation on Monday, October 8th. Family from 1-2 p.m, friends from 2-4 p.m. and 7-9 p.m. Service at St. Joseph’s Church on Tuesday, October 9th, at 2 p.m. Burial at All Saints Cemetery following the service. No flowers by request. Donations in Kenny’s memory may be made to a charity of one’s choice.

God Speed Kenny