Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Why Do You Do Clearing Turns?

(from CADORs)

A Canadian registered Bell 206 was taking off and contacted a slung load (Tidy tank -- fuel transportation) which was arriving at Postville under another helicopter. The Bell 206 crashed into the water and caught fire. The pilot is deceased. The second helicopter landed without further incident. The Transportation Safety Board (TSB) will be deploying to the scene. TSB Evaluating.

Phil

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have in the past remained a bit of a lurker on this site... taking in what others have to say, agreeing or not but generally keeping my thoughts to my self. Tonight though, I logged on for my bi-weekly view and once again I see dear old "Albert Ross" sprouting his condescending crap at a most improper time. It seems, at least to me, that every time "Mr Ross" makes a post or comment, it has to do with his looking down his nose at someone... regardless of the number of times those with "real" experience in these fields refute and correct him. I am again astounded by his lack of compassion or tact. There is a time and place to learn from accidents of others, but the day following said accident, at least to me, hardly seems to be the place to stand by on the sidelines, with little other than preliminary information gained over the public internet, and preach about what went wrong and assumed mistakes. Save it for your next book.

Overgross,

:shock: :shock: :shock:

When is the "right time"?

I read it as just stating the results of the preliminary investigation/notice, not "look how great I am."

If it prevents anyone else from doing the same, it can never be too early.

None of us that are a part of this great industry want to see this or anything else happen that results in loss of life. (machines can be easily replaced)

We all feel the grief, and we all share the knowledge that "but for the grace of God", it could be any of us.

May the family find peace in this difficult time, I know the collective prayers of all those here, are with them.

The quote is from CADORs, no argument, however no where in the report does it mention anything regarding whether a clearing was done, wasn't done, or should have been done. I simply don't think that it is anywhere NEAR appropriate to assume ANYTHING the day following a fatal accident, especially when the only information available comes from a half paragraph summary.

The quote is from CADORs, no argument, however no where in the report does it mention anything regarding whether a clearing was done, wasn't done, or should have been done. I simply don't think that it is anywhere NEAR appropriate to assume ANYTHING the day following a fatal accident, especially when the only information available comes from a half paragraph summary.

Hello there Overgross,

I don't see mention in Phil's post as to whether a clearing turn was or wasn't done. Obviously here the two pilots didn't see one another. Why that is is anyone's guess at this point.

I spent a couple weeks flying in that area this past summer and saw first hand that observance of basic airmansip tended to be lacking considering the number of machines flying in and around Postville.

I'm not making any assumptions here nor assessing blame. A crash has occurred and one of ours is dead. Any discussion here is pure speculation.

Condescending? If by that you mean I don't let people like overgross influence my opinion of myself, it's probably right. My views on death are almost certainly very different from yours, so keep your comments to yourself until you know what you are talking about. And while it won't be in my next book, it will certainly be on my next CRM course.

"If it prevents anyone else from doing the same, it can never be too early."

Skidz - that was indeed the spirit of the the post. And it's a fact - that's why you do clearing turns, without prejudice as to whether one was done or not..

Phil

This is good entertainment, excepet of course the reason for the post. Everybody has to come unglued somtime, I did the other day to JWRalph! but to harm intended. Nobody can be sure what happened but it is good practice to always do a clearing turn. To not look around and rely soley on the tower is dangerous. But no blame should be put on anyone at this point, maybe the machine with the load was in the wrong, nobody knows yet, definetly a some sad news to everyone.

I have in the past remained a bit of a lurker on this site... taking in what others have to say, agreeing or not but generally keeping my thoughts to my self. Tonight though, I logged on for my bi-weekly view and once again I see dear old "Albert Ross" sprouting his condescending crap at a most improper time. It seems, at least to me, that every time "Mr Ross" makes a post or comment, it has to do with his looking down his nose at someone... regardless of the number of times those with "real" experience in these fields refute and correct him. I am again astounded by his lack of compassion or tact. There is a time and place to learn from accidents of others, but the day following said accident, at least to me, hardly seems to be the place to stand by on the sidelines, with little other than preliminary information gained over the public internet, and preach about what went wrong and assumed mistakes. Save it for your next book.

maybe he just gives a ****, like me i hate seeing people dying in ways that are not natural, and in a way that was most likely preventable.

i take from what is being said as "people, situational awareness". regardless of who is to 'blame'.

the lesson here is for all, no matter what level your on in the industry......unfortunately,

it was at someones ultimate expense.