Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Why Do You Do Clearing Turns?

Yes, it is sad - there's a family there with a person missing now, just before Christmas. I don't know what happened in this case, and there are some accidents in which nothing further could have been done by all concerned to avoid them, but most seem to be avoidable with a little forethought, taking due account of hindsight, of course.

What the industry has to remember is that, over the next three or four years, a lot of veterans will be retiring, and a lot of good experience will be going to waste unless we make sure that the new people coming in get it, otherwise we will be seeing the same old mistakes being repeated and the same old accidents happening all over again.

I don't want to see that happen, and I'm sure all of you don't either.

Phil

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest heli206212
Yes, it is sad - there's a family there with a person missing now, just before Christmas. I don't know what happened in this case, and there are some accidents in which nothing further could have been done by all concerned to avoid them, but most seem to be avoidable with a little forethought, taking due account of hindsight, of course.

What the industry has to remember is that, over the next three or four years, a lot of veterans will be retiring, and a lot of good experience will be going to waste unless we make sure that the new people coming in get it, otherwise we will be seeing the same old mistakes being repeated and the same old accidents happening all over again.

I don't want to see that happen, and I'm sure all of you don't either.

Phil

Hey Albert,

I understand and respect your point, and a good point it is. I think Overgross is bascially saying to have SOME respect and keep the opinion statement for a little later. How later ? I do not know, maybe when the Official Report comes out, who knows. We are all different. Yes. To be honest, you both have good points. Just different personalities and ways to express them.

All in all, sad news and this event is very close to home.

God Bless and fly safe,

"We should bear one thing in mind when we talk about a pilot who has been killed in a flying accident. He called upon the sum of all his knowledge and made a judgement. He believed in it so strongly that he knowingly bet his life on it. That he was mistaken in his judgment is a tragedy, not stupidity. Every supervisor and contemporary who ever spoke to him had an opportunity to influence his judgement, so a little bit of us goes in with every pilot we lose."

"We should bear one thing in mind when we talk about a pilot who has been killed in a flying accident. He called upon the sum of all his knowledge and made a judgement. He believed in it so strongly that he knowingly bet his life on it. That he was mistaken in his judgment is a tragedy, not stupidity. Every supervisor and contemporary who ever spoke to him had an opportunity to influence his judgement, so a little bit of us goes in with every pilot we lose."

I like the spirit of what you are saying but it's a simple fact that that leaves no room for just plain ol' NOT PAYING ATTENTION. Not all accidents/incidents have a defined thought process - sometimes the guy was just not thinking. Not to say it was the case this time but in generic terms it happens that mistakes are made without a person calling up the "sum of his knowledge" or realizing he is betting his life on anything. Complacency takes that right out of the equation. Sometimes we simply aren't thinking at all.

All the best to the family of the pilot that we lost. My comments are only about the post I quoted and not about the accident itself (which I know nothing about),.

It's still a good quote, because most accidents happens to folks who thought they were doing something perfectly sensible at the time.

For the record, the first post came directly from a Transport Inspector and I thought it was worth sharing. If it sounds judgmental, it wasn't meant to be!

Phil

Further to the above, i didn't realise that the other thread "labrador heli crash" referred to the same incident - like others I thought it meant a real labrador.

Apologies to anyone whose sensibilities were offended. The post was definitely not meant as a criticism!

Phil

Elvis...found this on CBC

"The Labrador Helicopter was used as a search and rescue tool for almost 41 years in Canada and had its official retirement in 2004. The last operating Labrador was inducted into the National Aviation Museum in Ottawa on July 27, 2004."

Mark