Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Why Do You Do Clearing Turns?

My point Lineworker, is I hate when everybody blames the dead pilot and knows nothing about what really happened. I almost took a load of fuel drums through the rotors last week, and that was with a radio call and a turn. So how does everybody know he didnt do a clearing turn? That pisses me off.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you read the whole thread youd notice that speculation was not the intent of it. Merely fact and observation. If anyone can, in any way, learn from someone else's mistakes in any of the possible scenarios that took place it's for the benefit of the industry as a whole to discuss the possible preventative action. There are many pilots reading this discussion who have been shown some sort of enlightenment and are gaining from the opinions of others.

In short, people who read this are more likely to consciously think about the points that have been mentioned in this thread while they're flying.

I hope to gain as much as I can from the past so it doesnt happen to me in the future.

Cole

Are you guys kidding me? Can we dumb this down anymore?

Look, Cole, I don't know what the **** you are talking about with this severe rotor cloud tossing some guy to the pavement the day before you went to Princeton a year ago.

Can we have a rule that states any epiphanies regarding situational awareness be scribbled on a champagne knapkin and clearly written after at least 8 hours rest.

An accident happened. People died, lives ruined, families in mourning. Respect them.

If there is something to say that furthers safety, informs flight crews of potential hazards, or sheds light on possible complacency, and we all agree, there is no factual information released to determine this, then this is a place to share and learn.

If you want to vent, to tell a non-related personal experience, start a new thread, go to the lighter side, give the respect warranted to the topic you read about.

It doesn't get anymore serious than this.

Sorry for the story that found its way in there but what i meant by it is that people should take something away from every incedent. If a moderator will Kindly remove that particular paragraph as in hindsight I also see it as irrelevant.

Other then that i believe were on the same page, the intent of this thread was obviously to get people thinking about what could prevent such an accident in the future.

Sorry to get away from the main point there.

Cole

I'm with you lineworker, I think that assumptions or incinuations are a insult to the situation and the many people affected. If you wan't to comment later when the offical report is released it would be better.

On the other hand if you wan't to bring attention to a topic that you may have thought of when hearing about a incident. I think that's perfectly reasonable. Just leave the "incident" out of it.

I agree with MG, sorry again for the tangent but I think if it can prevent similar occurances in the future its worth discussing.

No offence is was or ever will be meant to those involved and directly affected.

My thoughts go out to the families and friends of the pilot.

Cole

• 2 weeks later...
(from CADORs)

A Canadian registered Bell 206 was taking off and contacted a slung load (Tidy tank -- fuel transportation) which was arriving at Postville under another helicopter. The Bell 206 crashed into the water and caught fire. The pilot is deceased. The second helicopter landed without further incident. The Transportation Safety Board (TSB) will be deploying to the scene. TSB Evaluating.

Phil

Although I joined this group a couple of years ago, I have never posted. Until now.

Albert Ross,

I don't mean to be rude, but your thread title certainly implies that you deem the lack of a clearing turn being performed was the cause of this tragedy. Unless you KNOW that a clearing turn wasn't done and that this was the accident cause, please change the title of this thread. Have a bit of respect for the departed.

On the other hand, if you KNOW that the lack of a clearing turn was the reason for the crash, carry on. But I seriously doubt that the data to verify what you imply is currently available.

I'll guess that you are assuming. That's sometimes a bad move.

MarkD, your point is taken, but as I said above, that is a direct quote from CADORs. It may have been worded better, but I don't really see how.

I have not personally speculated on any aspect of the incident, and my original statement still stands - it's why we do clearing turns. If people want to read it in various ways, well, I can't help that - we all come up through the industry in our own fashion and interpret information based on our experiences.

And I certainly refuse to put a disclaimer on everything I post:

Without prejudice

Not to be interpreted as a comment

Phil

Had similiar thing happen to me last year...flying along...gave a position report...no comebacks...noticed something moving straight ahead of me...turned right 30 degrees and decended ...then I seen what it was...a slingload hanging from a longline...look up...way up and there was an all black astar attached to that line...I tried every frequency that I could think of and never got a reply...so if any of you where in NB last year doing seismic in an astar you just about bagged me...no pun intended...if i had not noticed just a very faint movement I woud have driven right in to that line....sh#t can and does happen