Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

M2 And E License....

bellbell

GLI77

...Today under the loss of leadership at TC and the requirement to do 99% of the work under an AMO all licenses are becoming redundant. In the next couple years when TC divests itself of the license control to CAMC or the AME Associations or Fred the Baker, it will become just another useless piece of plastic and AMOs will probably be able to hire whomever they want as long as their MPM has some provision for issuing ACA authority.

I understand that TC's position regarding the AME's license is the we are the only people allowed the privelage of signing an on-aircraft release. In plain english, that means that any work requiring a release requires one of us, end of story, nothing the AMO can do can end-run that.

TC has recognised that AME's are professionals, and not trades; the difference is that we are trained and experienced to the point where we can apply our skills, with appropriate limitations, to a task or problem which we have not so far encountered and sign a release for it. This is a recognition of the nature of the engineer's role in aviation safety - we must understand the materials, technologies, and references well enough to make educated decisions about our work.

Once the AME association takes control of licensing we'll be better able to control our profession - much like doctors or lawyers control theirs. I don't see a group of professional aircraft maintenance engineers agreeing to allow AMOs to dictate the terms of license privelages anytime soon.

See CARS 403

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest graunch1
I understand that TC's position regarding the AME's license is the we are the only people allowed the privelage of signing an on-aircraft release. In plain english, that means that any work requiring a release requires one of us, end of story, nothing the AMO can do can end-run that.

TC has recognised that AME's are professionals, and not trades; the difference is that we are trained and experienced to the point where we can apply our skills, with appropriate limitations, to a task or problem which we have not so far encountered and sign a release for it. This is a recognition of the nature of the engineer's role in aviation safety - we must understand the materials, technologies, and references well enough to make educated decisions about our work.

Once the AME association takes control of licensing we'll be better able to control our profession - much like doctors or lawyers control theirs. I don't see a group of professional aircraft maintenance engineers agreeing to allow AMOs to dictate the terms of license privelages anytime soon.

See CARS 403

Unfortunately I fear for the day that the AME Associations take over the license due to the seemingly disarry they are in both regionally and nationally.

. At this point in time as far as I am concerned they are really a disfunctional group as the majority of Presidents and Directors are in fact AMO owners as the poor AME on the floor does not have the time or the secretary to do all the work required.

Western Region is a good example with the majority of the last 20 years having only 3 different presidents sharing the top spot. Two AMO owners and an educator. Not what you would call the typical AME representation.

Anyway that's my opinion and of course everyone has their own view of the future. Too bad TC decided to opt out of most areas except enforcement.

Unfortunately I fear for the day that the AME Associations take over the license due to the seemingly disarry they are in both regionally and nationally.

. At this point in time as far as I am concerned they are really a disfunctional group as the majority of Presidents and Directors are in fact AMO owners as the poor AME on the floor does not have the time or the secretary to do all the work required.

Western Region is a good example with the majority of the last 20 years having only 3 different presidents sharing the top spot. Two AMO owners and an educator. Not what you would call the typical AME representation.

Anyway that's my opinion and of course everyone has their own view of the future. Too bad TC decided to opt out of most areas except enforcement.

Pretty funny govt always passing the buck.. there are former/retired tc union guys now running amo's that dont understand todays climate.