Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Jetranger/long And Astar Starter Amp Draw

bushman

Have not been able to find exact information as to how many amps at what voltage a good start is supposed to look like. Perkins when describing their starter/generator for the b206 and astar says that it produces 3.8 hp with a 20v input. That would be roughly 2800watts so 100a at 28v, but I doubt the numbers work exactly like that.

What i would like to know is what is the complete profile from hitting the start button to releasing it at 58 % N1 . Peak amp draw, continuous etc...

Where can i find those figures? Or any seat of the pants guesstimates?

(if you need to know, this is in order to size a GPU)

Bushman

Hi Ray,

thx for the input. I dont have the manual and am away for another 3 weeks on vacation. This is just nagging at me and just wanted to look at some parts to make the GPU happen while i am here. From memory the system is 28,5v and the starter can take up to 30v. I think 200amps starter generators are available but really, what i am after is how much juice i should give it to come close to a perfect start 99% of the time. Most of the portable battery GPU claim 28.5v at 25 amps continuous and around 700 amps peak but that still does nt tell me what the normal profile for the start is.

Ray>>>>>>

Look at your electrical load analysis for each aircraft.

Ray>>>>>>I believe the starter is rated at 175 Amps, takes 24 volts.

• 4 weeks later...

Kopterdoc and all others who responded;

thank you for the help. Unfortunately, with these numbers (hi amps) the application i was thinking of will not work. The idea was to have a portable (emphasis on portable ) gasoline GPU. There are some around but they usually weigh 80 pounds or more. But with the hi amps needed, the engine would have to be too big and heavy, and that would defeat the purpose of making one and carrying it around the bush...

regards,

bm

Have seen anywhere from 300 to 400 amp draw on the amp meter on a hobart unit for a Bell 206 for a good quick start.