Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Koala Video

Mark_

You know everyone can tear into this guy but knowbody knows anything about him, maybe he is a test pilot or maybe he owns that aircraft, maybe he has 20,000 hrs. Nobody says anything when a fixedwing is doing arobatics, so what if the engine fails on a plane doing pilon racing, is that different than in a helicopter. If he were in a airshow flying like this would you all rip into him for being carless and stressing the machine....probally not, lighten up, it's nice to watch!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know everyone can tear into this guy but knowbody knows anything about him, maybe he is a test pilot or maybe he owns that aircraft, maybe he has 20,000 hrs. Nobody says anything when a fixedwing is doing arobatics, so what if the engine fails on a plane doing pilon racing, is that different than in a helicopter. If he were in a airshow flying like this would you all rip into him for being carless and stressing the machine....probally not, lighten up, it's nice to watch!

The difference is that most airplanes are designed to withstand the kind of g-loading experienced in agressive or high incidence manoeuvres. Most helicopters are not. The only civilian helicopter in the world certified for aerobatic manoeuvres is the BO-105, and even so, each pilot has to be individually approved by the manufacturer. Many other helicopters will handle low and high G manoeuvres quite well, but they are not designed to do them. For example, on an A-Star, repeated hi to lo G loading of the rotor disk will eventually lead to tracking problems as the blades flex excessively and can even lead to the starflex cracking.

As far as doing hammerheads goes, I've only ever seen one real hammerhead done before. It's easy to make it look like a hammerhead when you do a crop spraying turn, but the real thing is so dangerous very few pilots are stupid enough to do them. The problem with a cropspraying turn, as mentioned by Scully, is that if improperly done, or done when the machine is at or near gross weight, it'll put incredible loads on the machine.

It's hard to say if the Koala pilot in the video was hard on the machine, and impressive videos like that can and are legitimately made all the time by manufacturers, companies and stunt pilots fly crazy stuff in the making of movies and tv shows, and airplanes and helicopters do pretty cool stuff at airshows. When they do this kind of stuff, there is a whole safety infrastructure put in place and every move is preplanned. The nuance here is that this video is very much an amateur or home movie, giving me the impression that it wasn't done "legitimately". Whether the guy owns the machine or not is immaterial...

yep, it's been posted before, mark, and it still makes me cringe everytime i see it!! i think that is as close as most of us will see to a machine being written off in flight and still land... the stresses on that tailboom must have been wild... i've often wondered how many rivets were popped in that!! :o:unsure:

...so what if the engine fails on a plane doing pilon racing, is that different than in a helicopter...

If you are uncertain about this, do some more studying!

You lose an engine while pulling a 'fair' amount of "G's & Pitch" you'll be able to count your blades in about 18 seconds! :down:

Fixed wing; roll her straight, nose down and you are still flying.

Lots of difference between flying and falling... :lol:

You lose an engine while pulling a 'fair' amount of "G's & Pitch" you'll be able to count your blades in about 18 seconds! :down:

im not saying right or wrong that guy knew his machine was always going to feed his compressor and therefore his eng

well now your just getting too technical, you are talking of a percise moment when your engine fails and a heavy G's are loaded nevermind the rest of the time, ya sure your in big trouble and better get the pole down. I am sure a pilot that fly's for show ie. test pilot, stunt pilot, air show ect, is trained to react and deal with emergencies a bit different, like how to enter a auto from a hammer head ect.

Fixed wing, roll er straight and nose down, great then what, if you don't have a place to land, your going "flying" at 80 knots into the trees , that sounds much better :down:

if you want to talk of a percise moment of an engine failure, when a redbull plane is banked over 90 degrees 100' of the deck over open water surrounded by a city harbour, you are just as screwed!

my two cents :P

well now your just getting too technical, you are talking of a percise moment when your engine fails and a heavy G's are loaded nevermind the rest of the time, ya sure your in big trouble and better get the pole down. I am sure a pilot that fly's for show ie. test pilot, stunt pilot, air show ect, is trained to react and deal with emergencies a bit different, like how to enter a auto from a hammer head ect.

Fixed wing, roll er straight and nose down, great then what, if you don't have a place to land, your going "flying" at 80 knots into the trees , that sounds much better :down:

if you want to talk of a percise moment of an engine failure, when a redbull plane is banked over 90 degrees 100' of the deck over open water surrounded by a city harbour, you are just as screwed!

my two cents :P

thats the difference a fixed wing loses its eng i will pray for that pilots life and family at least every rotor pilot has a chance to go home.. dont want to see anymore carnage in this industry