Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

What are some honest opinions regarding the risks of the job (I realise this will very hugely depending on aircraft/operations) and how do you, or pilots you may know, deal (or not deal) with that risk in regards to a partner and/or children in their life.

Bit heavy, I know, but important to me as I weigh things up as I research the industry to see if it's for me.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two biggest factors against flight safety are customers and the guy who did it last week!

Provided you have a good system behind you, which would include pilots who don't abuse the machines and who will not take their machine where it shouldn't be, engineers who take pride in their work, support staff in the operations office who don't overload the pilot with work they should be doing, and a management culture that allows people to approach their jobs in a manner that fosters safety and professionalism over short term customer satisfaction, and who are proactive (trying to stop the next accident) rather than reactive (wiping up the mess after the last one), I don't think the job is any more dangerous than many others.

With regard to customers and the guy who did it last week: Two hunters get a pilot to fly them to hunt moose. They bag six. As they start loading the plane for the return trip, the Pilot says "The plane can only take four of those."

The two lads object strongly. "Last year we shot six, and the pilot let us put them all on board; he had the same plane as yours."

Reluctantly, the pilot gives in and all six are loaded. However, even with full power, the little plane can't handle the load and down it goes and crashes in the middle of nowhere.

A few moments later, climbing out of the wreckage, one hunter asks the other, "Any idea where we are?"

"I think we're pretty close to where we crashed last year." he says.

Many might might find it strange not to accept a risk of engine failure and a possible wire strike after you've just been hovering OGE in hostile terrain for the last 15 minutes, but this is the fine line in the wonderful world of helicopters. In the words of one senior pilot: "We do what we have to do, when we have to do it, in the calculated risk sense, but we never take a single risk we don't have to…"

Yes, the risk is a factor, but if you choose your company carefully you should be OK. The one I currently work for has a better accident record than most airlines. Let's not forget also that the safest single-engined aircraft in the world is the Bell 206, according to NTSB statistics. It's what people do with it that is the problem!

Phil

The biggest risk is driving to work. Just think of how many people you meet that are;

Putting on makeup

Reading the paper

Juggling breakfast

Trying to cram the minutes from the last sales meeting for the one this morning

Cell phone

Getting over/through a fight with the spouse/kids/boss etc

Still hung over

...and on and on it goes.

If you work for a good company with good equipment the odds are in your favor. Stuff happens,but not everyday.

Keep an eye on the customer, (they'll all try to do you in one way or another) and life is good.

Don't do stupid things in the weather

Don't do stupid things for the customer

Don't do stupid things - no one will thank you, they'll just blame you when it goes south...

Know you can do an auto, stuck pedals, etc and you will have more than a fighting chance to survive it all.

Oh yeah, Don't do anything stupid. Your family is counting on you....

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

Patrick O'Malley

What are some honest opinions regarding the risks of the job (I realise this will very hugely depending on aircraft/operations) and how do you, or pilots you may know, deal (or not deal) with that risk in regards to a partner and/or children in their life.

You sillies. :rolleyes: Methinks Mr. TinA was asking about industry-related risks with respect to family/family relationships...perhaps even life insurance? :) But what do I know? :P That's how I read it, anyhoo...

Guest graunch1
Or the one that can lift more...

Or the one that can fly in worse weather...

Or the one that can fly the farthest on the low level light...

:shock:

Man, I must be getting old - It's hard to keep up anymore! :lol:

Or "How come so&so can carry 12 pax and go in any weather? (VFR at <100')

and you guys can only carry 8 because you are afraid of landing at your destination (below IFR mins)?"

"He must be a really great pilot to do so much more than you" (he is also deceased from one too many trips flying VFR because the limits were too low for IFR)