Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

I remember hearing a "story" of a very experienced pilot who was hounded by a customer back in the old days to go out in some very, very bad weather. No amount of saying "NO" would suffice.

Eventually he had the machine outside and in full view of the passengers in the aircraft takes a full pull from his pocket flask before getting in. (Only water in it apparently)

They decided to wait for a bit...

:lol::D :D

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow! that's a great load of stories there, and a few chuckles at some great lines... I must write a few down in a little black book for the day when I can use them (when I'm a pilot).

Thanks again all. More questions from me soon, I am sure, as soon as I get these uni exams out of the way and I can daydream/research some more.

Cheers,

Tom B)

You might want to read "fatal Traps for Helicopter Pilots" by Greg Whyte (a Kiwi). He basically covers most risks associated with helicopter flying and has a good chapter on risk management and human factors (ever heard of the Swiss cheese theory ?).

Here's a link to the topic here on the forums:

Fatal Traps Reprint

I bought my copy of the first printing (Reed, NZ) while I was in training. I read it several times and lent it to other people and over the years, its become all dog-eared and otherwise mangled. I ordered a fresh copy from the reprint (McGraw Hill, USA) and received it about three weeks ago. I've started reading it again, and it's just as good as the first time...

You might want to read "fatal Traps for Helicopter Pilots" by Greg Whyte (a Kiwi). He basically covers most risks associated with helicopter flying and has a good chapter on risk management and human factors (ever heard of the Swiss cheese theory ?).

Here's a link to the topic here on the forums:

Fatal Traps Reprint

I bought my copy of the first printing (Reed, NZ) while I was in training. I read it several times and lent it to other people and over the years, its become all dog-eared and otherwise mangled. I ordered a fresh copy from the reprint (McGraw Hill, USA) and received it about three weeks ago. I've started reading it again, and it's just as good as the first time...

Thanks Skidz, I have looked it up and would like to get a copy. Unfortunately its about $60 here in Australia, but I'll keep looking. Sounds like some great bed-time reading this summer!

PS. What's with the little box below your posts telling about my computer details?? The internet is surely a weird-*** place with stuff like that.