Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fixed Wing Vs. Helicopter Job Market

mcampb46

Hey guys,

Due to a medical issue, I may only be allowed to fly during daylight hours. Long story short, if I get a daylight only restriction on my Cat 1, there is no point in getting a CPL and I will go into the helicopter industry.

What I would like to know is do any of you have experience in both industries? What can you tell me about salaries/hours/job opportunities as they compare across the industries? I have done some hmwk on the helicopter industry and I think I have the jist of what's going on. I would just like to have some input on it.

As for the 'passion' side of things, I know that I want to fly. After starting PPL flight traning, I'm hooked for life.

at the moment there is a larger market for fixed wing pilots. when you think about it, sending you off in a $70,000 for a 172 or $750,000 for a bell 206, seems obvious whos more willing to toss you the keys and let you have a crack at it.

more studying... whole airlaw section outta culhane in one night. (ordering your book tomorrow phil!)

Not being able to fly at night isn't a big problem in the Canadian helicopter industry as the lion's share of work here is day vfr. I've met 10,000 hour pilots who don't have their night rating and don't want one either...

If your ambition is to do IFR though, you're S.O.L...

Exaclty, that is my little predicament. If I am able to do night, I'm leaning towards fixed wing. If not, then helicopters for sure.

Any other thoughts?

I think you need to examine why you want to fly planes vs helicopters. If your first choice is fixed-wing, I'm not sure you'll like flying helicopters. These are two completely different worlds.

Make sure you know what you really want to do. If flying helicopters is second best, you won't be happy and it,d be a shame to come to that realisation after putting out 50 grand... :mellow:

I think you need to examine why you want to fly planes vs helicopters. If your first choice is fixed-wing, I'm not sure you'll like flying helicopters. These are two completely different worlds.

Make sure you know what you really want to do. If flying helicopters is second best, you won't be happy and it,d be a shame to come to that realisation after putting out 50 grand... :mellow:

I don't think that is really the case. I went up for an intro flight and loved it. You're right that it is two very different worlds, but they are both worlds in which I would want a career in.

As for the floats, do you have any suggestions on where I can find more info about a career in only flying float planes? I have looked into it briefly and the prospect does not look very encouraging compared to the job opportunities and salaries of the other aspects of the industry.

I don't think that is really the case. I went up for an intro flight and loved it. You're right that it is two very different worlds, but they are both worlds in which I would want a career in.

As for the floats, do you have any suggestions on where I can find more info about a career in only flying float planes? I have looked into it briefly and the prospect does not look very encouraging compared to the job opportunities and salaries of the other aspects of the industry.

You are kidding right???

I assume you are Canadian but perhaps not....if you are and are not familiar with float flying in Northern Canada then helicopters are perhaps not the way for you to go. It is one thing to appreciate helicopter flight, and quite another the environment we work in for the most part. 90% (??) chance you will be in the bush, and not a major city if you choose helicopters, and floats pretty much the same I would imagine, and generally less work to be had in winter.

If I have misunderstood your post I am sorry, but do some more research into both before continuing further with your training