Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fixed Wing Vs. Helicopter Job Market

mcampb46

If you are basing your decision purely on which will be easier to get a job in I can tell you I know of one fixed wing school that will and has in the past hire out of its training program which is only 150 hours long.

I can also tell you that the fixed wing side of things is a bit easier to get a job in. In fact theres pilots being recruited befor they even meet all the req's for their cpl. You will not see this in the helicopter industry.

I suggest you have a conversation with a few pillots from each side in person and listen to as many stories as you can. This is possible by taking some coffee into virtually any hangar along with some doughnuts. After listening to all the stories make your own call.

Educating yourself is the only way to come out ahead.

Cole

If you are basing your decision purely on which will be easier to get a job in I can tell you I know of one fixed wing school that will and has in the past hire out of its training program which is only 150 hours long.

I can also tell you that the fixed wing side of things is a bit easier to get a job in. In fact theres pilots being recruited befor they even meet all the req's for their cpl. You will not see this in the helicopter industry.

I suggest you have a conversation with a few pillots from each side in person and listen to as many stories as you can. This is possible by taking some coffee into virtually any hangar along with some doughnuts. After listening to all the stories make your own call.

Cole

you can not be indecesive in this business.either you want it or not. taking the easy road because you want to be home everynight will not be tolerated in this envirovment

• 3 weeks later...

Cole

I am a rotorhead but my friends in the fixed wing world tell me all the horror stories about first flying jobs. I know many guys new to the industry and for the most part it seems it is those willing to fly for free or even spend money on company training and PCC's that are employed. I know guys with 300-800 hours who are still stuck working for flight time only with no daily wage in tour or skydiving operations. Unless they spend some serious money on float time they work for next to nothing until they hit the magic 1000 fixed wing hours.

Either job market is difficult to start so pick the one you love. If you don't wake up each day excited to be going after your next job you will discourage very easily.

Good Luck!

Alot of the same challenges apply in both sides of the aviation industry but as far as flying I know of 5 schools that, although do not gaurantee, have in the past and do make a habbit of hiring many of there own students. If one is willing to instruct they have there choice of locations as pretty much every school is looking.

1500 hours and the majority of the ATPL done and you're laughing. That being said you're set in the helicopter industry once in that deep as well.

I say follow your heart, they fly much the same in forward cruise, but obviously the helicopter is more versitile and personally I find it more fun to fly. The right person will do well in either side.